Blocking the plate with the ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2012
Can catcher block the plate when they have the ball? Had a runner called safe in my 12U game because the ump said the catcher can only stand with one foot on the plate and make a swipe tag. I know without the ball the runner would have been called safe because of obstruction but with the ball I thought she could use one leg to block the plate. I can't find an ASA rule that talks about this besides the obstruction rule. Any help would be appreciated.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Did you have a local rule, that might have covered this? If not, the catcher has every right to block the plate, when she has possession of the ball.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Can catcher block the plate when they have the ball? Had a runner called safe in my 12U game because the ump said the catcher can only stand with one foot on the plate and make a swipe tag. I know without the ball the runner would have been called safe because of obstruction but with the ball I thought she could use one leg to block the plate. I can't find an ASA rule that talks about this besides the obstruction rule. Any help would be appreciated.

You can't find the rule, because there isn't one.

Jun 22, 2008
Defensive player in posession of the ball can block a base with their entire body, not just a leg and it is perfectly legal.

Nov 29, 2009
Sounds like one of two things. The umpire making up his own rules on the fly or it may be a local league thing that is trying to protect the players.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Most local rules put into place put state the runner should attempt to avoid contact.

I have dd's mode of operation to try to give the runner the back half of the plate, not because she has to, but because I have had to haul her to the e.r. for not giving the runner a little space, it really sucked!

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I can't find an ASA rule that talks about this besides the obstruction rule.

What more do you need? :)

OBSTRUCTION: The act of a defensive team member:

A. Who hinders or impedes a batter from striking at or hitting a pitched ball.

B. A fielder, who impedes the progress of a runner or batter-runner who is legally
running the bases unless the fielder is:

1. in possession of the ball.

2. in the act of fielding a batted ball.

NOTE: Contact is not necessary to impede the progress of the batter-runner or
a runner.

Per the above definition, possession of the ball = no obstruction.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
That's a simple call... if she has the ball she can "sit on the plate" ... without the ball, any blockage of any kind is obstruction. Pretty black and white. However, the only rule similar to this is in some leagues it's mandatory that a runner slides when its a play at the plate. That's just to prevent potential injuries from colliding.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
The other side of the coin is that (at least I've found) it is almost impossible for a runner to get an obstruction call on a catcher blocking the plate. If the runner avoids contact, there is no obstruction, even if the catcher is sitting on the front 95% of the plate without the ball. If there is "any" contact, it's usually the runner that is called out, and the catcher is allowed to continue sitting on the plate. I do teach my base runners to make some (light) contact on the bases if there is an obvious obstruction, but at home plate the call usually goes against us.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gmc7283