blister on finger

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 5, 2009
My niece is a pitcher and developed a blister on her index finger during a game last week. The skin came completely off and still hasn't healed. She's been putting neosporin on it and covering it during practice/games airing it out at night but it's been slow. I was wondering how long does it take to heal and what other methods could she try to help speed the process up because she really wants to get back on that rubber.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Infrared bulb... 250 watt bulb in domed holder with a clip... for 15-30 minutes at about 12-16 inches away. You can do it up to 10 times a day... Wrap it in a slice of veal over night...Once you get it healed, keep super glue on that spot. Keep super glue in bag, and catch early next time...

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Hi. How old is she and how long has she been pitching? Was this her first game this year? I am trying to figure out why it happened. I don't know much about the healing, but maybe we can help her avoid this happening in the future.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Infrared bulb... 250 watt bulb in domed holder with a clip... for 15-30 minutes at about 12-16 inches away. You can do it up to 10 times a day... Wrap it in a slice of veal over night...Once you get it healed, keep super glue on that spot. Keep super glue in bag, and catch early next time...

Veal? never heard that one before.

Super glue is great but can't be used in a game as it is a foreign substance on the hand.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
There is a product called 'liquid skin' that acts like a band-aide that might let her continue to pitch while it heals, but giving it a week or two of rest would be the best solution.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Veal? never heard that one before.

The enzymes in the meat speed healing. The infrared will be your fastest approach...Surprised you have heard of it. I'm taking it they want to get back in the game asap. The bulb and rap gives you round the clock stimulation.They can use the super glue at all practices, that will keep the wear and tear down. Plus due to the problem, I would bet that the work around that you will have to use, can be an even better pitch, than what you started with. Adding pressure, or taking it away, is what makes pitches move. Have her throw what she can, and see what it does...

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2009
She's 13 and has been pitching for 3 yrs. it happened during our first rec. ball game of the year it was rainig and all of sudden the skin came right off.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Check her grip and see that she doesn't have a death grip on the ball. I never run into blisters, with my students. Is the ball out in her finger tips and just gripping enough to hold on to the ball?

Jul 26, 2010
If it was raining it was probably due to her skin being softer (like after a bath) and being rubbed raw with her trying to keep her hand dry. Use gorilla grip and you won't have to keep your paw dry.

-W

Jun 20, 2008
Super glue can be applied to the finger before the game starts...once you get it healed soak her hand in pickle juice for 30 min to an hour every day...no really pickle juice...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl