Best of coaching clinics and the worst!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 4, 2009
Buffalo, NY
Today I went to about my 9th softball/baseball clinic and this one didn't impress me. Nine clinics seem quite a bit but I feel that you never get enough info. If you consider I started coaching my first team (baseball) in 1978 and didn't attend my first clinic until 1988, it to me wasn't enough and should of started sooner. I have gone to good ones and bad ones; this one wasn't that great. It was run by a local baseball school. I felt it lacked any valuable knowledge. This is my opinion.
The best clinic I went to was some ASA clinics I went to in the early 90's. Hands on, you do the drills, learn how to evaluate skills and how to recognize and correct problems. What I would like to hear is your best and your worst experiences and what you believe is good and bad. Basically, what makes a good clinic?

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
To me, a lot of it has to do with the instructors and their ability to convey the information. I've been to some where the instructors varied -- some may have been knowledgeable but they were clearly uncomfortable being in front of a large group.

My favorite instructional setting is the NFCA Coaches College. They generally draw a small group -- roughly 50 -75 attendees -- so it makes for a pretty intimate setting. You focus on one topic in-depth for the entire weekend -- offensive strategies, defensive strategies, skills, practice plans, etc. You also have access to the instructors, especially if you stay in the official hotel. I had the privilege of eating breakfast twice with National Team coach Jay Miller, where we just chatted about softball (among other things). The NFCA does a real good job of making instructors accessible. There is usually a dinner event where you can just hang with the instructors for the evening. The quality of the other attendees is usually good, too, so you get the chance for a lot of side discussions too.

My second favorite is the National Sports Clinics. Mary Nutter knows how to put on a good, tight clinic. There isn't much hands-on work and here in the Chicago area you get several hundred attendees, but I have learned a lot over the years there.

Ultimately, one of the things you want, in my opinion, is access to the instructors so you can ask specific questions or get into good discussions. Both of the above offer that.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs