Batter swings and misses but still hits the ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Batter swings and misses but as her bat comes around behind her, it hits the ball still on it's way to the catcher. (She was a little early, eh?:D)

Ball was hit fair and ump ruled it a hit.

His reasoning was that she was in the batters box when the ball was hit, she only hit the ball once and the ball went fair after hitting the bat.

I'm just interested to hear other opinions.

Jan 24, 2011
Texas
I originally stated in this post it should be a live ball, I was completely incorrect, my apologies for not posting proper info.

I would agree she may have swung a little early. :)

EDIT:

SEE BELOW.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
I will have to find the rule citation, but ASA this is a dead ball, foul ball. The batter is only allowed to hit the ball on the initial swing, if the ball is contacted on the follow through it is a foul ball.

There used to be a play where a batter would purposely swing way early at the pitch, bring the bat around behind their back and then bunt the ball. This play is not legal, you cannot have a swinging (missed) strike and a hit both on the same pitch.

Jan 24, 2011
Texas
Comp, thank you for saying that!

I went back to the ASA book and found the rule, because before this post, I would have declared it a live ball also if I'm the PU. I am happy to have this info in case it happens to me I can call it correctly.

The rule is Rule "7-6 THE BATTER IS OUT (k)(3): When contact is made on the follow through after missing the pitch on the initial swing.

EFFECT: The ball is dead, and a strike is called."

So there you have it, if ASA, dead ball strike should be called. My error for posting erroneously earlier.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan