Banning Composites

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 3, 2010
"The batted ball speeds are not enough to give a player enough of a reaction advantage."
Just hit flies to outfielders using two different bats and you feel the difference. Using a composite I have to take something off to keep the ball in the park (I am no slugger). Bat makers sell the advantages, the fact that they are superior is beyond question. The ball off the bat is faster, case closed.
Evil batmakers? When profits and livelihoods are on the line people tend to defend their positions in spite of evidence. Car companies do, cigarette companies, seed manufacturers, chem co's, oil etc. People are generally decent, but honestly corporations are 1st and foremost profit driven. The CEO at a bat company who stands before his Board of Dir and says we're getting out of the juiced bat business and profits are expected to drop will find himself unemployed. His departure will not be bragged about at the annual shareholders meeting where they only want one piece of info, "Are profits up?"

I would pay to see a bat exec in a tunnel pitch to my 14 yr old DD from 40' without a screen using his best composite bat!

I'd rather see fences pulled in to make the game more exciting that would be a safer option.
MY DD is a pitcher. When I was young pitchers were taught to end in a position to field the ball. I'm training her to end with her glove in front of her, open wide to deflect anything hit back toward the head or chest. The 7 girls behind her can field.

My original point about banning composites is that we need not have this dangerous piece of equipment in the game. Louisville Slugger has already lost a case to a family who sued when their son, a pitcher was killed by a batted ball off an aluminum bat. They'll appeal they must there is too much money on the line and lawyers are paid to win. The juiced bat leading to protective gear is changing the game into something ugly. We don't need to go there.

If this little poll is an indication there are more of us against them then in favor as I suspected. We are being led by marketeers and are prisoners of our apathy. If you are against them, remember you're in the majority so when the the tide turns against the bats and their makers don't be afraid to speak your mind loudly and to you elected officials.

Sep 3, 2009
Oh dear lord...:rolleyes:

Noone doubts a composite will have a higher exit speed than aluminum, or wood. But why are you citing a case involving an aluminum bat, to make your point against composites? You want them to swing wood? Many more examples of injures from wood shards and fragments to catchers, umps, and players and coaches and fans in the stands. Many very serious, and permanent.

Who cares if the company is making a profit? Isn't that the whole point of operating a business? It's ridiculous to villianize these companies, for making a product within the limits set by the sanctioning bodies. If you feel that the those limits are too high, perhaps you should write a letter to the ASA and/or USSSA? It's childish and pointless to say they're doing it for greed, and making juiced bats, without a shred of evidence of such.

The actual hitting difference in a composite and aluminum bat is not a huge difference, and certainly not what you allude to. People are paying dearly for an "extra" 20' if that. Exit speed? Say it's 10mph (being generous there...), what does that equate to in reaction time at 40'??? A hundredth of a second? Can your hurler react in one hundredth of a second? Will it make all the difference in the world? Hardly. Your liberal use of the word "juiced" shows your objectivity on the subject. Maybe you're not aware, but this game was dangerous previous to composite bats. It was dangerous previous to aluminum bats. However, there is now a $30 solution to insure safety for defensive players. It all but guarantees to protect against serious cranial injuries. You ought to look into it, they even come in various colors.

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I laid around watching college ball yesterday. Always amazed at how they have to stop at half swing to drop in short center field.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
We got a HS player with a Stealth each year goes yard 4-7 times, then the bat goes dead during travel. I smell a rolled bat, but can't prove it. And it's not the pitching, I know some will jump all over that. Same girls in HS pitch in travel around here.

Jun 13, 2010
If you really want to solve the problem simply deaden the ball. The liveleyness of the ball is a factor no one brings up.

Yes the bat companies are out for profit no doubt, However There are more powerfull forces than even them. I read, as most of you did also That California is seriously considering outlawing all but wood bats for Softball or Baseball.

Do I think that this is the answer? No I dont. Heres why.
Most people dont relize one factor that comes into play here: Physical strength: I saw a scientific experiment made where MLB players hit balls with all types of bats. Know what they hit the farthest with?

WOOD, Yep wood got them the most distance. BUT with college players it was several types os composite that did it.

This was the scientific explanation. A mlb player can swing a wood bat just as fast as he can any other bat because of his extreme strength. A wood bat is heavier so the ball goes farther.
Also because he swings only wood he is MUCH more mecanicaly correct and gets more of his body into it. BUT when they swictiched to aluminum or composit his swing was not as good wood they said swings more naturally.

The other side of strength is this : Softball players train harder than ever before They are stronger. I believe that if you made them use wood they would get that much stronger and the danger would be even greater.
Athletes are bigger and faster now. Move the pitcher back 3 more ft and make the bases 10 ft farther away at least for HS and College. Then make the ball a little deader Then you may get what you want, But I doubt it . You cant please every body:D

Jul 15, 2010
The banning of composite (aka, Illegal Bats) should happen prior to the start of the 2011.
It is a safety concern so, the ncaaa will have the go ahead to implement immediately.

Later

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
If you really want to solve the problem simply deaden the ball. The liveleyness of the ball is a factor no one brings up.

Ive brought it up the last 6 months. ASA has tested it, got a guy pretty high up. WTF, is going on in this game, who is so scared?? Baseball has used the same ball without question for over 100 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA