Banning Composites

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 3, 2010
Am I the only one who thinks facemasks are not the answer? First we have superbats, then we need body armor to protect the girls from the batted balls. They sell heart protectors which are as justified as face masks. The next logical step will be flack jackets like NFL QB's wear. This is like an arms race, one the equipment companies can't lose! They'll supply both sides of the war and market hard on both sides. Everyone needs a juiced bat and everyone needs a facemask.

Anyone in favor of reducing the weight to length ratio of these bats like they do in high school and college baseball?
How about banning composites?

Oct 25, 2009
It really would be the right thing to do if someone could manufacture bats that had the same unalterable characteristics from one bat to the next. If that could be done then whatever the results were would be because of the skill and size of the batter.

But as long as there is money to be made, safety and sport will take a back seat.

Dec 4, 2009
Buffalo, NY
I wish there was a way to go back to wood bats until college ball. It will never happen. The manufactures have too much money at stake and have too much influence. Also, the governing bodies want to make the game exciting by having more runs scored. So safety be damned!

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
I like protective gear. There is nothing wrong with safety.

I also like girls fastpitch being a fast-paced aggressive game that demands protective gear. That is one of the things that differentiates it and makes it BETTER THAN BASEBALL. (and I say that as someone that played a lot of baseball).

Sep 3, 2009
Take away composite bats, and batted balls still hit players. The bats are not the problem, players and coaches are still injured in MLB baseball. This dead horse gets brought up every spring. With a facemask, you can pretty much guarantee that a player will not suffer a horrific inury. Can you say the same thing about a a non-protected player hit with a ball off a wooden bat? The batted ball speeds are not enough to give a player enough of a reaction advantage.
Yeah, it must be those "evil bat manufacturers that just want to make money and don't care about safety"... So say composites get banned, what do you think those bat companies will do then? Yup. Make wood bats. And who will you be able to blame when players are injured then??? Those "evil ball manufacturers that just want to make money and don't care about safety"???

Last edited:
And plus wouldn't the banning of composites cause a big uproar in stats? I mean if we "downgrade" to other bats that don't hit as well as composites then the people who set HR, AB, and other records had an advantage than those who try to break them. Isn't that why the MLB still uses wood bats? They can't change cause then people will argue that hitters have it made easier than the guys who set records and we all know how the MLB is about their records. :) everyone brought up really good arguments ... mine is kind of off the wall but that's just how I think.

Jul 28, 2008
I don't care for composites. Give me a good old Anderson bat ( baseball or softball ) and throw the composites in the trash.

I second this. The last two bats I purchased for my DD's were RockeTechs. Now neither one will hit with composites.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish