Arms & Hands lagging behind Hips

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 13, 2010
I have player who shifts her weight, opens her hips, and turns on her back foot before she starts her swing. The result is she is often late to the ball and is losing power when she makes contact. Right now she is a decent contact hitter for average (11 years old).

This is an odd habit in my experience. Can anyone recommend some corrective action type drills? (Sorry can't post any video).:confused:

Apr 13, 2010
No not the same. This kid starts her swing in an aggressive / explosive hip turn (and turning the back foot) but there is a disconnect with her arms and hands lagging behind. It took me a while watching her to figure out what was going on. She doesn't take a big stride either, maybe four inches with some weight shift but not a lot.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
We will really need to see her, southpaw. Some of the things you are describing that she does are good. Maybe her timing is off, but getting the hips around is good and her stride sounds correct.

I think that people aren't offering suggestions because we need to see her.

If you have a digital camera, you can take video. Then, we can help you post it here. Good luck. Amy

Apr 13, 2010
We will really need to see her, southpaw. Some of the things you are describing that she does are good. Maybe her timing is off, but getting the hips around is good and her stride sounds correct.

I think that people aren't offering suggestions because we need to see her.

If you have a digital camera, you can take video. Then, we can help you post it here. Good luck. Amy

To be totally honest, I have the video on a DVD but I have no idea how to post it here or to get it off the DVD into a manageable file. I'll ask someone here at the office for some help.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Southpaw, if you or someone else can upload it to YouTube you can put it up here pretty easily.

If you're using a Windows PC, see if you have some sort of simple movie-making application on there. It might allow you to pull something in off a DVD player on your computer if you have one. If not, you'd need an outboard device to run from a DVD player into your computer's USB port.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06