Another obstruction, what's your call?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Obstruction. Now the ump has to decide to award her home or send her back to 3rd. Is that right? Maybe the 3rd baseman was new to the position??
I am giving her home.

JOHNN

Just a dad of 3 girls
Aug 5, 2019
South Louisiana
Looks like a textbook example of how runners can easily bait an obstruction call.

It seems to be a very common occurrence in college ball these days that if you nudge or push the defensive player, it will typically get called in your favor.

May 13, 2023
Looks like a textbook example of how runners can easily bait an obstruction call.

It seems to be a very common occurrence in college ball these days that if you nudge or push the defensive player, it will typically get called in your favor.
Yep players utilizing situational awareness.

Jun 20, 2015
clearly obstruction. she was either going to be safe at home or safe at 3b, once that ump arm went out. Tough play, but defense can't just stand around and crowd the bases to get runners to slow down.

See it very often with 1B that like to crowd or are slow to move away from 1B. And know some coaches that like to coach for players to get that booty in the baseline to slow runners. Then scream bloody murder when the baserunner really hammers that fielder that's doing that bologna, bush league stuff.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014

Looks like a textbook example of a fielder seeing how much they can get in the way without getting the obstruction call. Even in travel ball, I'd coach my players on how to handle this, especially at 1B. A "nudge" or shoulder bump...nothing to cause injury...but enough to get the umpires attention. This was an easy call.

May 29, 2015
Wow . . . going to go "controversial" here . . . and then head to the old thread to see if I thought the same thing before.

I am going to make the case for NO obstruction. In my judgement, that runner was NOT impeded going home. The runner was rounding the base and checking up. There was enough of a hesitation by the runner at third base that I don't feel she was running through. She was out because of her actions, not the fielder's.

I can see how it was called obstruction. Here is my second controversial opinion: IF you are going to call the obstruction, I agree with @Rolling Hard that I think the award should have been putting her back at third base. I do not think "the obstruction" caused her to be out at the plate. R1 would go back to first (the play is dead on the "out" at the plate).

OK . . . headed to the old thread to see what I said . . .

OH . . . before I do . . . that is the dream every U1 working a 3-person crew has. Other than not caring for the PU's positioning at third, GREAT rotation by that crew.

May 29, 2015
. . . and I am laughing my arse off. My comment in the old thread:

Was just coming to post this! Good to see softball getting some CCS love lately!

Strange observations from a strange umpire ...

• Only a 3-man crew on a state championship game?
  • They are wearing no state association logos?
  • Great rotation ... notice the first base umpire makes the out call at home!

PS -- absolutely the correct call. The only thing I would add is that U1 should have killed the play, not called the out. I am assuming he did not know about the obstruction call though. The PU who made the call was turned to where U1 couldn't see the arm. I would advise PU to make that call bigger and louder, and turn to the plate so U1 has a better chance of knowing it.

I guess that shows that the call can go either way on any given day.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00