Wont' Swing the Bat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Okay. I have a 12yo girl playing in her first season. I am the assistant coach.
Anyway, in her very first game she was hit on the shin by one of the quicker pitchers in the league. Since then, when it gets to a game situation, she refuses to swing the bat, because she's scared she's going to get hit. Okay, fair enough rational fear. But when she hits off live pitching at practice, she has no problem whatsoever. Our fastest pitcher, normal balls, she is fine. We've been doing a lot of work with wiffle balls to work on her swing, and she knows she can hit the ball well, she just breaks down in a game situation.
Any suggestions for helping with her confidence in a game situation?

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
I've had this happen a couple a times. I told them before they got up to bat that I wanted them to swing at every pitch no matter what. I did't care if was in the dirt or over their head. I also told all the parents ahead of time what the plan was so they weren't screaming from the stands "wait for a strike".

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I like Wellphyt's advice. Here is what is likely going on. During BP she is looking to hit every pitch. In the game she is looking to not get out and not get hit. Keep reminding her in a game she is looking to hit every pitch just like BP.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
I like Wellphyt's advice. Here is what is likely going on. During BP she is looking to hit every pitch. In the game she is looking to not get out and not get hit. Keep reminding her in a game she is looking to hit every pitch just like BP.

I agree. There is no fear of failure in the batting cage. I've actually had talks with my daughter about this in an attempt to get a better understanding of what the girls at this age are thinking. I don't remember what I was thinking at 12 or 14...it was a long time ago:D

My daughter basically says that it is more stressful having an umpire behind you calling balls and strikes. I take that to mean that in a game hitting is just as much mental as it is mechanical. Ted use to say that hitting was 50% from the neck up. A lot of times we get so focused on the mechanics of hitting, we forget about the mental approach to hitting.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I once bribed my DD to shoot the basketball. (She was maybe 10.) So, maybe that would help in softball, too. At that time, the kids wanted Pokeman cards. I think maybe tootsie pops or the rubber band things, would work now.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I take that to mean that in a game hitting is just as much mental as it is mechanical. Ted use to say that hitting was 50% from the neck up. A lot of times we get so focused on the mechanics of hitting, we forget about the mental approach to hitting.
Along those lines I tell players that to be a good hitter you have to be at near 200%. That means there is an optimum 100% to both the mechanical and mental aspects of hitting. A player still working on mechanics and is say 75% potential there but they are great from a mental aspect say 90% they're in good shape. If a player mechanically off soft toss or whatever has an awesome swing say a 85% of what they could be but is an emotional wreck up there performing at say 20% then they only about half of where they should or could be. It's a way to let players know they have to work at both parts of the game and to open up and be honest about the mental part of hitting.

Thanks for this guys.
The only issue is that the head coach is a bit of a hothead, and when his players swing at anything outside the zone he either hangs his head in frustration or walks away. He has even taken her aside for words about it. Needless to say, she doesnt respond very well to his tips/pointers during practice. So I think there's an issue that she doesnt want to disappoint him, or let the team down.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Thanks for this guys.
The only issue is that the head coach is a bit of a hothead, and when his players swing at anything outside the zone he either hangs his head in frustration or walks away. He has even taken her aside for words about it. Needless to say, she doesnt respond very well to his tips/pointers during practice. So I think there's an issue that she doesnt want to disappoint him, or let the team down.

You have a 12 yo old player in her first season. New players need constant encouragement. Anytime I had a first time player my goal was to coach them in a way that they would want to sign up and play again the next season. One way I did that was to recognize new players after the game everytime they "experienced a first". Caught their first fly ball (way to pay attention and hustle). First walk (good eye). First hit by pitch (way to take one for the team). First run scored (great job running the bases). First strikeout (won't be yout last, way to keep your head up, that's part of the game). First hit (way to swing the bat, do it again next game).

Anything to make them feel special and feel like they were making progress.

If I were coaching this girl I would go up to her before the game and tell her that her goal for that particular game was to swing the bat. The odds are she would strike out swinging at some bad pitches. After the game I would recognize her in front of the team for being coachable and meeting her goal. Then I would turn it into a team lesson about fear of failure, aa well as the fundamental concept that the only way to succeed in life is to try.

It sounds like your coach needs to say 100 times...She's a first year player...She's a first year player...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG