Wherein Stephanie gets her kitty

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
A few months ago I blogged about one of my students, Stephanie, who had been promised a kitten by her father if she hit 57 mph. (I tried to find the original post but couldn't and so gave up. But it's out there somewhere.)

Last Friday night, Steph earned her kitten. In fact, she blew past the goal and actually nailed a 58 as well as a couple of 57s*on the Jugs gun. I always require a second reading at a speed before I'll trust it, as there are all kinds of factors that can create a false reading on a one-time try.

I think her dad Rick had mixed emotions on it -- happy she*got there but dreading the addition of a kitten to the family --*but I can tell you Steph was high-energy for the rest of the lesson.

One thing that was interesting was how Steph got to her best speeds. On her first couple of attempts, she scored a 56. I knew this was something she really wanted, and guessed she was over-amping herself. So I told her to take a deep breath, relax and give it another try. Sure enough, she hit 58.

It was the same with each of her attempts. When I would remind her to take a deep breath she'd hit her target. When I let her go on her own, she'd fall just short. She told me afterwards she's going to add the deep breath to her pre-pitch routine. Something for all pitchers to think about as they try to get that little bit extra on the ball. Instead of getting all tightened up, breath deeply and relax.

So for those of you rooting for Stephanie to earn her kitten, you can be delighted for her. She's there. Can't wait to see the photos. And by the way, she told me if it's male kitten she'll name it Ken, and if it's a girl it will be Kendra. Guess we'll see about that.

More...

Feb 24, 2010
I have a similar deal with 11 YO. When she hits 50 she gets a cell phone. The focus since the day the deal was made has been amazing. I just hope that when she gets it, she still wants to pitch instead of texting!

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
:)
she's going to add the deep breath to her pre-pitch routineMore...

Congratz on her getting her kitten and all your hard work to get her there.

I try to slow my girls down all the time., both in games and in practice.

I cannot get in their heads but it seems most of them feel they need to throw as many pitches as they can in the allotted time and they will get better. We only interrupt them with the coaching thing.

I will try offering them a kitten to try and slow them down. :)

Again, congratz to both of you.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Quinz, what I usually tell the girls is to slow down, I'm not getting paid by the pitch. Should that change, then they can work that fast. That usually gets a laugh out of them.

Thanks Amanda. Glad you remember it. She was pretty excited to earn it, so I'll let her know someone else was excited for her too.

Wookie, I hear you. That could be a big risk with a young 'un!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma