What sanctions allow pitch leap?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 4, 2019
Texas
Read thru several threads, but seen too many different responses...what I think I see majority saying is USA and USSSA and international are only that allow leaping by pitchers...correct? Not allowed in high school nor ncaa? Anyone have snip it of rule for each sanction that can share 😀

Thank you!

May 29, 2015
Taken from another thread:

NFHS
Rule 6 Pitching
SECTION 1 PITCHING REGULATIONS (F.P.)
ART. 2 . . . About the Pitch:
c. The pivot foot may remain in contact with or may push off and drag away from the pitching plate prior to the front foot touching the ground, as long as the pivot foot remains in contact with the ground and within the 24-inch length. If a hole has been created in front of the pitcher’s plate, the pivot foot may be no higher than the level plane of the ground. Pushing off with the pivot foot from a place other than the pitcher’s plate is illegal.

NOTES:
1: It is not a step if the pitcher slides her foot in any direction on the pitcher’s plate, provided contact is maintained.
2: Techniques such as the “crow hop” and “the leap” are illegal. (2-16; 2-33)

USSSA

RULE 6. PITCHING
Sec 1.
E. The Pitch:
3. The pivot foot must remain in contact with the pitcher’s plate or push off and drag away from the pitcher’s plate or be airborne prior to the non-pivot foot touching the ground. The pitcher may leap from the pitcher’s plate, land with the non-pivot foot and with a continuous motion deliver the ball to the batter. The pivot foot may follow through with the pitcher’s continuous motion.
NOTE 1: It is not a step if the pitcher slides their pivot foot in any direction on the pitcher’s plate, provided contact is maintained.
NOTE 2: The pitcher’s push off to drag, or leap must start from the pitcher’s plate. The pitcher must not crow hop or push off from any place other than the pitcher’s plate.
NOTE 3: All movement of the pitching arm must be continuous as the pitcher steps, pushes or leaps from the pitcher’s plate.

NCAA
RULE 10 Pitching
10.5 Step/Stride
10.5.4 Leaping is not allowed. The pitcher may not become airborne on the initial drive from the pitcher’s plate. The pivot foot must slide/drag on the ground.
10.5.5 The pitcher is not allowed to hop or drag to a replant (crowhop), gain a second starting point and push off their pivot foot. Once having lost contact with the pitcher’s plate, the pivot foot may trail on the ground but may not bear weight again until the pitch is released.

Sorry I don't have a current USA rulebook.

Just in case there were any questions. :unsure:

USA Softball (2022)
6A-3-K
K. (Women’s and JO Girls) Pushing off and dragging the pivot foot in contact with the ground or having both feet in the air is allowed.

And from the Rules Supplement:
Much attention and discussion has been given to recognizing the differences between the crow hop and the leap on the pitching delivery:

1 A CROW HOP is defined as a replant of the pivot foot prior to delivering the pitch. This can be done by (1) sliding the foot in front, but not in contact with, the pitcher’s plate; (2) lifting the pivot foot and stepping forward; or (3) jumping forward from the pitcher’s plate with the pivot foot prior to starting the pitch. Umpires should look at the location of the pivot foot when the hands separate, the start of the pitch. If the pivot foot is off and in front of the pitcher’s plate before the hands separate, this would be a crow hop and an illegal pitch should be called.

2 LEAPING occurs when both of the pitcher’s feet become airborne on the initial move as the pitcher pushes from the pitcher’s plate. In the WOMEN’S and JO Fast Pitch divisions both feet may be airborne.
ADULT MALE and JO BOYS pitchers are allowed to have both feet airborne as long as the pivot foot toe is pointed downward toward the ground. If the pivot foot toes are not pointed downward, an illegal pitch should be called. All pitchers can also legally push and drag the pivot foot on the ground during the step.

My thoughts on the entire debacle withheld ... somewhat.

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
I’m corrected I did not know that USA had changed to allow leaping. I wish they’d all be standard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The aggravating part is they got pretty close a few years ago. And then somebody has to have "their brand" and it goes back to the Wild Wild West.

Which brings me to a question for a spin-off thread ...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles