Weird one today, catcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I have seen this done in baseball on a regular basis, but they are playing on a much bigger field, so the RF would have a much longer run to backup throws to 1B. It also puts additional wear/tear on your catcher, which is generally not a good idea.

Oct 25, 2009
My DD was taught to run up the line to back up any bad throws. She saved a few extra bases over the years. During one overthrow from SS my DD tore her ACL stopping the low throw to 1st. Her comment while being attended to was "she didn't get to 2nd, Daddy".

The catcher won't get too worn out if the batters aren't hitting too often. Especially, if there are runners on.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
The catcher won't get too worn out if the batters aren't hitting too often. Especially, if there are runners on.

Most softball fences are 200-225 ft, and we cheat our RF towards the foul line, so it is a much easier play for RF to backup throws to 1B, plus throws from 3B and SS would angles towards RF.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Most softball fences are 200-225 ft, and we cheat our RF towards the foul line, so it is a much easier play for RF to backup throws to 1B, plus throws from 3B and SS would angles towards RF.

There's no reason they both shouldn't be backing up 1B. Poor throws from F4 and deflections off F3's glove are where F2 may get the action instead of F9. And the RF should be positioned primarily according to the batter.

On a related RF back up role note - one of the things I've seen many times, and I think its more player initiated than coach, is the RF shading the line so that they don't have to run back and forth as far to back up 1B on a potential pick off from the C. An OF's character and work ethic are never more clearly on display than when they play RF. Too bad many of them don't realize that.

Sep 21, 2010
corinth,tx
our catcher in hs does this but asst coach was a baseball catcher and that is his dd..lol. i have seen it work on occasion over the years but a lot of energy to waste for your catcher and most balls hit the fence and your 1st base can usually get their b4 the girl advances

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
I like for catchers to do it only on hits to the right side of the field with no runners on and they only move part way down the line.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
If nothing else, the catcher in full gear running to back up 1B is a good example and a strong visual reminder to the rest of the players on the team to hustle and take care of their own back up responsibilities.

Feb 29, 2012
This is the way I was taught, and continued to do it right up until I was 50yo as long as there was no runner starting on 2nd or 3rd.

And in doing so, I added about a dozen put outs a season @ 1B when OF would throw behind the runner who would not be used to a C covering the base.

To me it is just good, ol' hustle and a smart catcher.

I did the same as you when I was catching. A few times a year I would get a ball missed by the 1B and prevent the runner from advancing and in a couple of cases catching the runner making the turn. And many other times I would sneak in behind the runner and we would catch them making too big a turn or they completely turn their back on the ball and walk back to 1B and we would catch them before they got back. I didn't run right up the baseline with the runner as I didn't want them to know I was there though there were a few times that I did but that was me showing off my speed off against someone who thought they were fast. I loved beating them down to first. Even more satisfying when I threw them out stealing or picked them off afterwards. Haha!

And that last part is something that I preach to the girls on my team. Never turn your back on the ball. Fielders won't throw behind you if you are looking and you won't miss out on opportunities if a cut of is missed or a bad throw occurs allowing you to advance a base (or two).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1