Tryouts a few months later

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Big strong AND fast is better, just sayin'! But regardless, the best teams generally have a mix. The mix is dependent on the talent available and the coach's philosophy. And on the professional level, there always are a few that have made a living despite being told they're too........something.

....but they are always looking for the "big strong power hitter" they think will win games with one swing. They will over look alot of things, like no speed, or poor defense, if they put a couple in the woods.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
....but they are always looking for the "big strong power hitter" they think will win games with one swing. They will over look alot of things, like no speed, or poor defense, if they put a couple in the woods.

AMEN! It is a team sport and one player is not going to win it. Give you and advantage...Sure.

Feb 3, 2011
I'm in a pretty strong softball area and that's not the prevailing philosophy at all, at least not in 10u-14u. A great hitter who's only so-so in the field will get a spot in the lineup over a great, lightning-quick defender who's only so-so at the plate, but while I think most of the coaches out here would like to have some power in the lineup, no one is looking to build a team of 9 power hitters who are deficient in many other areas. I guess it would work if you had 3 big, untouchable power pitchers in the group, but I have yet to see that rotation.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
Of course, have to find a power hitter.

I do not disagree. We have three who have power potential. But I did not base my entire team on that. My comment earlier were geared towards me seeing a lot of coaches select a team where every batter to be a power hitter. And it is feast of famine for them. Sure the each time through the lineup they get some hits but they usually get into games with limited runs support and less chances with runners on to make a big change in the game. I feel you need some placement hitters and some power. A balance is what gets runners on so the power hitters look even better then they drive one.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
I'm in a pretty strong softball area and that's not the prevailing philosophy at all, at least not in 10u-14u. A great hitter who's only so-so in the field will get a spot in the lineup over a great, lightning-quick defender who's only so-so at the plate, but while I think most of the coaches out here would like to have some power in the lineup, no one is looking to build a team of 9 power hitters who are deficient in many other areas. I guess it would work if you had 3 big, untouchable power pitchers in the group, but I have yet to see that rotation.

If you have 9 power hitters show up at your tryouts, you must have a REALLY strong softball area. Players that launch balls in the woods are a big standout in 10U- 14U around here. I don't dissagree with you, just saying most of the good teams are only looking for a couple of players to fill their team and if a power hitter shows up at tryouts, they will more than likely get a spot over any defensive 'stud'. It's human nature. If you wouldn't want them hitting against you, get them to hit for you. There's always room for a "big stick" in the line up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd