Softball pitching - when movement fools the umpire

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2009
What I wonder is why they want to call so many balls? With time limits at tournaments the tournament directors obviously want to keep the games moving. Squeezing the strike zone simply prolongs the game, and keeps the blue out on the hot field longer. Makes no sense to me whatsoever.

You got that wrong. Most umpires are at the tournament for the day for 5 or 6 games. So if your game goes the time limit, which most do, it makes no difference to him/her if you play 3 or 7 innings. The time is still the same for them.

Given that thought what needs to be in place is a training for umpires to learn how to call balls and strikes. You would think it's an easy thing to do. It's not for some umps. I have seen umps who have no business being being the plate while others seem to be flawless. It's the flawless guys who seem to have the "easier" games.

What I believe umpires need is to be tested using pitch tracking like MLB does. I believe they need to be evaluated on a bi-annual basis. I'm sure a lot of the so called "good" umps will have their eyes opened so-to-speak with regards to actual and precise feedback. It seems to me that too many of them are guessing out there. I'm sorry, an evaluator can not see from the side just how well a ump is calling the strike zone.

It may cost a little bit, but I'd gladly pay more for an umpire who has been evaluated.

Just my little rant as a pitcher's dad and pitching coach.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Originally Posted by chinamigarden
[
QUOTE]I don't know what age groups your dds are playing. It has been my experience, both in baseball and fastpitch. The older the players, the better the umps. It seems like the assigners know who is good and who is not, so rather then put a lousy ump at a 16u game, they get put at the 10u and 12u level, where they aren't used to seeing good movement. Hopefully your girl will soon grow out of the bad umps.
You are right! But what always gets me, is that 10s/12s pay the exact same price to enter the tournament and most often get the "newbies" or the ones who should have retired five years ago not to mention put down on the crappy fields.
[/QUOTE]

Crappy fields for the lower levels is the norm as the ball is hit much harder at the 14U
and higher ages. Is it fair? no

Umps need to gain experience somewhere, and that place is where
the game moves at a slower pace (10U)

The biggest problem I see with pitch calling is plate umps who do
not get 'down in the slot' in my experience umpiring, if PU is not positioned
correctly it is nearly impossible to see strikes at the knees and pitches breaking
on the corners. This is part of the human element of the game that all of us
have to deal with

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
As long as the plate umpire is consistent with their calls for both teams, I see no problem with them having a small strike zone. The best pitchers will find a way to adjust and be successful.

Jan 27, 2011
Los Angeles
As long as the plate umpire is consistent with their calls for both teams, I see no problem with them having a small strike zone. The best pitchers will find a way to adjust and be successful.

The idea that everything is fine as long as you do it for both teams is completely wrong. Everyone has strong points and weaknesses. To be effective, a pitcher must find a balance between her strong points and weaknesses. Rather than working on perfection, the pitcher works on achieving that balance. Changing the strikezone changes the balance point; if the pitcher is lucky it changes towards her strong points, but it may as well go the opposite way. There's no reason why this would have the same effect on both pitchers, so there is nothing fair about this.

Likewise, for a team to be good, it must balance its pitching, fielding, and hitting. Squeezing the strikezone to the point where a ball has to be fully over the plate essentially takes the pitching out of the game. You might as well hit from a tee or play slowpitch. That's not how the game should be played.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
The idea that everything is fine as long as you do it for both teams is completely wrong. Everyone has strong points and weaknesses. To be effective, a pitcher must find a balance between her strong points and weaknesses. Rather than working on perfection, the pitcher works on achieving that balance. Changing the strikezone changes the balance point; if the pitcher is lucky it changes towards her strong points, but it may as well go the opposite way. There's no reason why this would have the same effect on both pitchers, so there is nothing fair about this.

Likewise, for a team to be good, it must balance its pitching, fielding, and hitting. Squeezing the strikezone to the point where a ball has to be fully over the plate essentially takes the pitching out of the game. You might as well hit from a tee or play slowpitch. That's not how the game should be played.

The size of the strike zone is not an absolute and in many ways is up to the judgment and interpretation of the plate umpires frame of reference. For example, we have all seen in games where a pitched ball crossing home plate at the shins of the batter is called a strike and a pitch at the sternum is called a ball. One of the goals of a good pitcher is to determine what an umps strike zone is and use that to her advantage. Also the size of the batter has a great influence on perceived strike zone; whether or not they are in the front of the box; back of the box; close to the plate; away from the plate; showing bunt; slapping; etc.

The bottom line is I am never upset with the strike zone as long as both teams have the same one. You argue that a small strike zone takes "pitching out of the game" as if location is the only factor in being an effectice pitcher. What about ball movement; change of speed; and pitch selection?

Jan 27, 2011
Los Angeles
The bottom line is I am never upset with the strike zone as long as both teams have the same one. You argue that a small strike zone takes "pitching out of the game" as if location is the only factor in being an effectice pitcher. What about ball movement; change of speed; and pitch selection?

Yes, there are many techniques a pitcher can use to be effective. That is exactly why taking some of those away does not affect different pitchers equally, so the "consistency makes it fair" argument does not hold.

Some variation is expected, and pitchers adjust. But we have also all seen umpires who's strikezone was so limited that the pitcher has to throw essentially over the middle of the plate. Good hitters have a strikezone larger than the plate, so even movement doesn't carry the ball outside the hitter's strikezone. That leaves change in speed only, which is so limiting that I call it taking the pitching out of the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan