Softball camp

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2011
Any suggestions for drills for the following for a softball camp we are having?
1) Hitting and bunting
2) Fielding and throwing
3) Base running and sliding

Age range is 6-13 years old. Thanks for your ideas.

Mar 13, 2010
I would have a pitching/catching session too.

What are you planning to do in these sessions?

Sep 3, 2009
Any suggestions for drills for the following for a softball camp we are having?
1) Hitting and bunting
2) Fielding and throwing
3) Base running and sliding

Age range is 6-13 years old. Thanks for your ideas.

Maybe a little bit of "mental" training... teach them about paying attention, and 'thinking' about the next play, visualizing the game. It's amazing how many girls have been playing for a couple of years, and still don't know what to do, given a certain situation.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
We are currently putting on our HS clinic. We only have 31 girls there and so I am disappointed. (BTW, I have 12 high school players working the camp, 2 coaches and a trainer is available.) However, we are breaking record heat records and will again tomorrow so I understand the low numbers. We have broken ours down to 5th and 6th graders and then 7th, 8th and 9th. One group is in our two cages and side hitting stations. The other group is on the field and broken down to catchers, infielders and outfielders. They all start doing infield and outfield. Then, at some point each day, our catchers take the catchers off to the side and do catcher work. Then, they get the field for catcher fundamental drills.

Some topics:

• How to play catch and not chase.
  • Angles to the ball (Both OF and Infield)
  • Catcher footwork.
  • Switch your feet drill. I like this drill. Players stand in an arc around home plate but in play. Each of the bases is occupied by either a player or coach. The player numbers can be 3,4,5, or 6. Now, coach has two balls in their hands. First ball is thrown out an players have to communicate on who's ball it is while the coach yells where to throw the ball. In the mean time, the second ball is being thrown out and the same. So roll ball out fast and yell, "1st." Players decide who's ball and say, "ball." Other player says switch your feet (IOW, get your feet quickly shifted so that you can point your elbow at the base you are throwing to and throw the ball there.) but stays focused on coach since coach could throw next ball to them. If you call 1st on first ball, then can call second or third on next. I keep two balls going at all times until the bucket is empty and the girls have to practice under pressure. They have a lot of fun with this one.
We will do baserunning on the last day since the heat has been so bad that I fear a kid would collaspe if I have them run too much.

Our camp is 2 hour long. We had to create a place we call "the cooler" which is our pavlion/restroom/coaches offices/storage. It is cooler there and so, every 18 minutes we head there for a "talk" for five minutes and let them get a drink. (So, if you do the math, we have gone over every day but we annonced that to the parents the first day since it is important to me that we coach these young ladies. I've been so impressed with our question and answer questions and by my HS player's participation in the question and answer sessions.

I am getting too long and don't want to hijack this thread. I hope this gives you some ideas on what we do. Good luck with your camp.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles