slap hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2009
looking for any thread, drills, dvd, advice on slap hitting. 12u girls 2 are lefty and have one righty that needs to switch. i know little of the basics, looking for anything during the fall and winter to improve their skills. thanks

Jun 3, 2010
Look on youtube there are several videos that show the basics. I have a DVD from Coaches Choice titled Slap Hitting for Softball by Darren Mueller. It has helped me a bunch while teaching my dd how to be a slap hitter. www.coacheschoice.com

One piece of advice, once you have watched a video and have a good grasp on what you need to teach your DD and you have been working on it for several months. You will find out that everyone "thinks" they are an expert on Slap Hitting. You will hear some of the stupidest stuff from parents and older players about what your kid is doing wrong.

Slappers were the majority of the reason our team won state championships 2 seasons ago! Maybe three out of the team were "power" hitters...the rest slapped. Good luck - it makes the game SO much more interesting! :)

Dec 28, 2008
My "Winning the Short Game" DVD series contains a DVD on Slapping as well as Sliding, Diving, Advanced Baserunning and Bunting. Slapping video focuses a lot on footwork and bat control. Also gets into thinking element of it.
The biggest key is getting them (and their parents) to want to do it. The "long ball" is still what gets the fans up in the stands so many girls want that praise and are reluctant to want to "just get on base by putting the ball in play a few feet." If the 3 you are looking at working with, love baserunning and crossing the plate then your job is going to much easier.
Best of luck.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
My dd was 12 when she switched to the left side. We had some Olympic coaches and players that we talked to for advice? First we taught her to hit for power from the left, then we had her learn to bunt, slap and drag from the left. She has been to many college camps on slapping and I have read and followed many of Larry Rays material. It takes time, but if you can only slap and bunt, teams can defend you as you get older. Now when the team plays her up, she duck hits or power slaps it over the outfields head and if a kid has speed, you might have a triple that should have been a single.

Oct 16, 2008
SE Michigan
Where to Start

For several years, I've been giving a few hundred slap hitting lessons a year and I am always amazed by how much I am still learning.

My favorite DVD is the ASA Team USA Short Game DVD featuring Caitlin Lowe. The verbage is mediocre but the video of Lowe practicing her drag bunt, soft slap and hard slap techniques is priceless. I would suggest studying those segments frame-by-frame about 100 times so you get a clear mental image of what great looks like. Then go out to a field yourself with a tee, bat and bucket of balls and try to duplicate Lowe's technique. The ball will tell you when you're on the right track...the ball don't lie :). Better yet if you can slap some off a machine or front toss.

Be happy to share details on what I do in my lessons with 12u players if you're interested.

btw, I agree with SBFAMILY that slappers can still provide some power. One of my students hit 8 doubles and 7 triples in her sopmmore HS season this spring (35 games) ...all hits using the moving footwork and I know several slappers that have led their team in OPS so slapping doesn't have to be all dinks.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
btw, I agree with SBFAMILY that slappers can still provide some power

I watched a 14U knock in 2 runs and pick up a triple with a slap this morning popped it right over the outfielders head and it rolled to the corner. A regular kid would of picked up a double but she was Ms. Speedy.

I too am trying to help DD learn to slap. I've had her hitting from the left side in the 45 mph cage and just started her on the tee. Hopefully by next spring she may make some use of it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan