Selecting an Outfielder

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 15, 2011
I agree with the math.

Although I understand the comment about there being no substitute for catching balls off the bat, there is also no substitute for repitition in catching balls moving at different angles. I have gotten decent at placing flyballs in certain places to replicate charging, dropping a step and catching ball moving back, moving left, right,etc. But when it comes to duplicating repetition on any one of these I don't have the skill to place ball where I want it every time. That's why I use the pitching maching for outfield practice.

I normally set up the machine to drop balls in a certain location. Then I set up eight cones in a circle around where the ball is going to drop. We use real balls...not the heavier dimpled ones ...and we rotate the fielders around the cone giving them repetition at every angle. Then we continue to move the cone further from the drop point in order to make the fielders cover a larger distance. The girls absolutely love this drill and take pride in covering a large distance in making the catch.

The poster is absolutely correct in that you need to start out in a full sprint. MY dd... who has average speed...was struggling getting to the balls in the outfield. What I noticed was that she used the first few steps to get a make on the ball and then accelerated for the catch. She was coming up short in most instances in reaching the ball. When I instructed her to sprint toward drop area and make adjustment at the end she suddenly looked like she had a little speed.

I also like the fact that the high amount of spin off the pitching machine forces the fielders to catch the ball deep in the pocket to prevent ball from spinning out. I use the pitching machine also to drop tweeners for my 2nd and SS. The drill teaches them to drop step and make the tough catch behind 1st and 3rd base. I also use it to drop balls between the outfield and infield to teach calling for the ball. We had several games where the outfield and infield would run for the catch and both pull up at the last second and watch the ball drop between them. I just can't duplicate that kind of practice...not without wasting a lot of time...off my own bat.

My team catches flyballs every practice. My infield has to catch them as well as my outfield is rotated through my infield fielding stations as well. Catching flyballs is extremely important and needs to be practiced on a regular basis.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad