Runner on Second Gets Huge Lead

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
Breaking that habit is definitely a real thing to getting to the next level.

Setting a time frame for the catcher is really important and is an executive thinking mental decision!
Seeing the runner and either firing directly back to the pitcher
or a back pic (to 2nd)or to Third Base.

Set the standard that the catcher needs to react within the same quick decision/ reaction moment firing to one of those locations.

Many times the only reason Runners are taking that giant lead off is because of the non-attack catcher standing chasing with the ball that is actually not scary and runner's know it.

Having a catcher that is on the attack from the very beginning of the game. By firing back to the pitcher (even without Runners on base) sets a better tone of an aggressive defense.

Things to help the catcher identify where to throw the ball. ⬇️

Can work at practice catcher recognizing the distance the runner is off the bag. when the catcher comes up to fire they can look to see if the balance of the runner's body is going back towards second and they can throw threw/by the pitcher hard enough that it could go straight through to second if need be.

Make sure all defensive players are in athletic positions sprinting and ready to receive the ball directly after the batter does nothing. Critical visual importance for the catcher. Then the catcher needs to learn to be able to throw it when they aren't there yet. Support the catcher knowing she still needs to throw while the defense is learning to get there.

Additional thing that helps is when the catcher fires immediately back to the pitcher the pitcher should be aware **with her defense talking to her about the runner to be able to throw to Third and get the out should the runner be doing a delay steal.
* ball being back in the circle (as we know) forces the runner to do one thing or the other.

* Need to work the defense communicating to each other and keep the pace of Defense sharp and on the attack.

Catcher is by far the position I know least.

That said, we once played a game where the catcher fired the ball back to the pitcher with alarming speed. I mean I've watched hundreds of games and this easily caught my eye. I watched closely the whole game and the catcher firing back to the pitcher so fast definitely cut down on steals, delayed steals - shortened leadoffs, and just put an end to any dancing around in the base paths. I was impressed and meant to pass that along to my team.

May 13, 2023
Catcher is by far the position I know least.

That said, we once played a game where the catcher fired the ball back to the pitcher with alarming speed. I mean I've watched hundreds of games and this easily caught my eye. I watched closely the whole game and the catcher firing back to the pitcher so fast definitely cut down on steals, delayed steals - shortened leadoffs, and just put an end to any dancing around in the base paths. I was impressed and meant to pass that along to my team.
✔️❗

Had a student catcher recently make a huge transitional impact in fixing the topic of this thread. Clearly evident in the championship series the impact an active attack catcher can make. Either in getting the ball back to the pitcher immediately or firing to get an out!

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
✔️❗

Had a student catcher recently make a huge transitional impact in fixing the topic of this thread. Clearly evident in the championship series the impact an active attack catcher can make. Either in getting the ball back to the pitcher immediately or firing to get an out!

I think I mentioned this in another thread, but another point of emphasis with my catchers this summer is to throw IMMEDIATELY.

There's too much hesitation, thinking about if they really have a shot to get the out, etc. Just throw. Don't stare down the runner first. Receive the pitch, find the open lane, and throw! It's usually evident very quickly which base runners like to challenge catchers and take big leads. You see the big lead on the first pitch, you're probably getting the same lead on the next pitch. Sooooo throw the ball!

I even gave them permission to make certain "dumb" throws at times (back pick first with a runner on third). They need to learn their limits. And the rest of the defense needs to learn how to make these plays. We've given up a couple runs along the way, but the girl who's caught most of my games this summer has gotten a lot better.

May 29, 2015

As an umpire, the catchers I like best are the ones who have the ball back to the pitcher while I am still signaling a strike. They aren't pulling or sliding ... pop, stick, throw. They aren't waiting to see what my call is because they know the pitch has already passed and the next one is due in 20 seconds or less. They also know any delay benefits the runners.

It's funny how that correlates with the catchers who also perform the best.

May 18, 2022
Runners on 1st and 3rd have them practice middle infield pick off plays. This could work with runner taking a big lead off 2nd too. DD calls these plays, it has increased the engagement in her position. Still struggles with tunnel vision on the pitch, but she's getting better seeing the field.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles