Relocating to Taunton, Ma Feb 15th could use some assistance

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2009
Chandler, Az
We are relocating from Arizona to Taunton, Ma. We are looking for the best schools for softball and boys swimming anywhere 30 miles east to southeast of Taunton. DD is a Junior and son is in the 8th grade, so finding the best school is a priority and any ideas how to look up housing besides using craigs list would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Roger
rdelawder@gmail.com

Jun 11, 2012
We live about 25 minutes NE of Taunton and have a great high school softball program. They were 2nd place statewide last year. But we don't have a swim team.

Nov 18, 2009
Chandler, Az
We live about 25 minutes NE of Taunton and have a great high school softball program. They were 2nd place statewide last year. But we don't have a swim team.

Thanks Murphdog, but really would like to be in Taunton or East/Southeast. We've been looking at King Phillip and Dighton-Rehoboth as possiblities, but the biggest thing is finding homes in specific areas without using craigs list?? I know King Phillip is North East, but that's about all the further NE we want to go. What HS are you talking about?

Jun 11, 2012
King Philip is west of Taunton, not much west but west. It's a good program, I don't know much about Dighton-Rehoboth though, it's just South East of Taunton.

Bridgewater-Raynham has a good program also and is closer to Taunton than we are. Taunton is a fairly large city compared to many of the neighboring towns.
Are you looking to buy a home or rent? If you are looking to buy I'd look at realtor.com to get an idea of price range for the different areas. You may find some rentals that way also.

Are you going to be working in Taunton? There are tons of small towns surrounding Taunton, most of them with good school systems, and a few cities. It all depends what you are looking for.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2009
Chandler, Az
Oops, I meant West and Southwest, still getting use to the fact we are coming so far East. Our area's of interest so far appear to be Seekonk, Bristol, Dighton, and most that are West and Southwest of Taunton to stay out of the snow belt. We will be working in Taunton and originally wanted to live in Rhode Island, but have been advised the drive to Taunton isn't pleasant during rush hour. We are looking to rent until we completely figure everything out. DD graduates 2014 and son 2017 and dd will be going to college at CCSU, so swimming for the son is very important. However, I appreciate all the assistance and hopefully I can get everything figured out over the next 30 days. Thanks!

Jun 11, 2012
West is putting you in the snow belt. East (within 15 miles or so of the coast) is less likely to get heavy snow. Being North or East of Taunton will put you traveling the opposite direction of most during commute times.
Ideally you want to avoid having to travel on Rtes 195/95 or 495 during your commute as they are heavily traveled in the rush hours.
No matter what you are going to see snow but generally anywhere along or inside the 495 loop is going to be worse than anything more coastal.
Dighton is a nice area but not very much there. Seekonk is more heavily populated.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Don't know a whole lot about that part of MA, but I'd say that Murphdog has you on the right track. Again not sure about MA and the Taunton area, but here in CT, swimming was not a major HS sport. Many kids swam w/ USA-affiliated swim clubs. Here's a link to one in Taunton MA - looks like the club coach also is a HS swim coach. Probably would be a very good resource if you were to contact him. Taunton Tiger Sharks Swim Club :

Good luck with your relocation.

PS - There's no hiding from snow anywhere in New England, but you can't beat having 4 distinctly different seasons.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck