Pre-practice/Game warm ups

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Any suggestions on a warm up progression for pre-practice/games?

Currently, I use the following:
Short lines:
-Easy jog: frontwards and backwards 2-3 times
-Side shuffle with arms swinging 2 times
-High knees down, butt kickers back 2 times
-Carioca 2 times
-Close gates down, open gates back 2 times
-High skips down, quick skips back 2 times
-Zig zag and down (touch the ground with every change of direction)

Followed by head-to-toe stationary dynamics in a circle:
-Easy/slow neck rolls--some discourage these due to possible spine damage
-Arm circles in a swimming motion--crossing in front of the body--frontward/backwards
-Front/back arm swings
-Twists--arms pull body
-Windmill toe-touches
-Wide stance windmill toe touches (chest touches knees)
-Wrist figure 8's
-Knee circles--both directions (Open/close gate does about the same thing)
-Leg swings:
-front to back touching opposite hand in front
-side to side in front of the body--sweeping the ground
-Ankle rolls

Someone mentioned that slow neck rolls and backwards jogs should be eliminated from my routine, while others have suggested I keep easy/slow neck rolls and backwards jogs. What are some other dynamic warm ups that are used?

Thanks

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
Kenb...since no one else answered this. I will say you have covered about all you need to. Your almost in the conditioning mode.

Remember there are two primary reasons to warm up. 1. Get the blood circulating through out the body. 2. Get each player to reach their "Current" maximum level of flexibility both upper body, core and legs.

If you have accomplished that...they are warmed up. They should be thoroughly warmed up with your routine.

Nov 8, 2010
I think you have some great moves and exercises in here, but it almost seems like this is too much to do prior to a game (assuming that is what you are using it for). As bobbyp said, the primary purpose is to get the blood flowing and help the players shift into game mode physically and mentally. We actually keep our warm up far less intense (although still dynamic) than we do at practices. We do several of the exercises you listed in your post in a circle with the team captain in the middle. This is really the players time and coaches stay out of it for the most part. Then we give them a few minutes to encourage each other, talk about the game before breaking the circle and starting our throwing and catching progression. Seems to work pretty well, it's predictable and it helps them get into a comfort zone prior to playing.

FastpitchFan

Softball fan
Feb 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
This being my area of expertise, I felt I had to provide you an answer. Let's summarize why we warm-up:

1) Perform better
2) Prevent injuries

To accomplish this... we need to a) get warm b) get loose and c) get fired up (nervous system activation). Dynamic warm-ups do that.

There is no perfect dynamic warm-up, as long as what you do does get you warm, loose and fired up (nervous system activation), whatever you do doesn't really matter that much.

What I can say - you do a good job of warming up the core and the upper body, often neglected area of dynamics warm-ups in softball when team borrow their protocols from trainers or coaches from others sports like basketball, football, soccer, etc. where there is less emphasis on upper body actions.

With that said, what you have listed is fine. Neck rolls are fine but not an absolute. Backward jogs - same idea.

If I was you, I would add these two at the end of my stationary sequence:

YouTube - Scorpion Stretch - Scorpion Stretch

YouTube - How To Video: Trunk Rotations - Supine Trunk Rotation

These two stretches are very softball-specific as we do a lot of trunk rotation.

Finally, I would just add a few sprints/lateral cross-overs/shuffle or quick feet stuff at the end to finalize nervous system activation.

Coach Marc

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Thanks all. I run warms-ups during practice and the girls run their own on game day. I've noticed that each warm up is slightly different and depends on who is leading.

Marc,
Since we're in the wet Pac NW, the on-ground stretches are tough to get to, but I'll add them on those rare dry days! Do you have video of the lateral cross-overs/shuffle or quick feet stuff?

Thanks,
Ken

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1