Posture

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Cody Bellinger and Mike Trout both stand very up right in the box and kinda load into their posture (spine angle) as the pitch is being thrown. If it is an inside pitch they remain more upright and on outside pitch they increase their spine angle and go get the outside pitch. Does anbody teach that? Other guys do it too, but I have never heard it taught.

This is a quote "To correct the problem, the hitting coaches helped straighten Bellinger’s posture and keep his upper body square, Roberts explained. The tweak allowed Bellinger to shorten his swing for inside pitches. "

Jun 8, 2016
Cody Bellinger and Mike Trout both stand very up right in the box and kinda load into their posture (spine angle) as the pitch is being thrown. If it is an inside pitch they remain more upright and on outside pitch they increase their spine angle and go get the outside pitch. Does anbody teach that? Other guys do it too, but I have never heard it taught.

This is a quote "To correct the problem, the hitting coaches helped straighten Bellinger’s posture and keep his upper body square, Roberts explained. The tweak allowed Bellinger to shorten his swing for inside pitches. "

Griffey Jr. was pretty upright too. It does mean the head probably has to move a bit more vertically as they move out which I guess could be an issue but unless it is totally wonkie stance to me is a no teach as long as they get where they need to be at launch.

Nov 16, 2017

Spine angle should have more to do with pitch height than location in or out. Technically you have more adjustability if you start up right, however the upright position is only a good position to a ball that is up and out of the zone. Most players start with a tilt because there is less distance to the correct spine angle / shoulder plane. So with the upright position you have to make a bigger move to get to low balls. That is why some people see Trout as having a golf swing. He doesn't. He just starts more upright making his move to a ball low in the zone seem so drastic.

I believe this is going to be a style thing more than a rule thing. It is just like how some people have high hands (Harper) and some low (Turner) but both get to the same spot at heel strike. Just like I believe it is better to have your hands really close to where you launch your swing from because there is less room for error. A tall stance increases the distance thus increases the room for error but you are really splitting hairs at that point.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I am just saying that two of the best hitters currently in MLB do it. Surprised people aren't teaching it. Kole Calhoun (Angels RF) use to do it, but after his struggles last year and being sent back down to minors he came back not doing it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207