Pitching practice - drills or full pitching? (12u)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 13, 2021
Maybe a silly question, but when you play catch specifically to warm up for pitching practice, do you play overhand catch or underhand catch? I've done overhand, but not sure if it makes more sense to do underhand.
Overhand.

Her warmup after playing catch is usually a mix of whips and walking pitches to warm up the underhand part of the motion.

Nov 18, 2015
Overhand.

Her warmup after playing catch is usually a mix of whips and walking pitches to warm up the underhand part of the motion.
We don't do it much anymore, but when she was starting out, we'd alternate - one overhand, one underhand.

It got to the point where her starting motion was so similar, there'd be a split-second where I wasn't sure if she was going to be throwing over or underhand.

As you've probably read in other threads - the key is playing catch underhand. Every underhand toss doesn't have to be (and probably shouldn't be) a "pitch".

Dec 1, 2021
We don't do it much anymore, but when she was starting out, we'd alternate - one overhand, one underhand.

It got to the point where her starting motion was so similar, there'd be a split-second where I wasn't sure if she was going to be throwing over or underhand.

As you've probably read in other threads - the key is playing catch underhand. Every underhand toss doesn't have to be (and probably shouldn't be) a "pitch".

We did some underhand catch at our last bullpen just for fun. Just some easy underhand tosses, not pitching. Good way for her to poke fun at my technique.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles