Pitching Lights

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 4, 2011
Any recommendation on light bulbs to light up a backyard pitching area??Should it take 2 or 3 lights to accomplish this??Standard 43'.Ty in advance

Jul 26, 2010
Depends on what your neighbors will tolerate, and how good your eyes are. I often practice on tennis courts with my daughter at night, the kind that have the lights on a timer. I find these lights adequate if you set up in such a manner that there is no light directly behind your daughter pitching (or behind you for throwing the ball back). I couldn't imagine using much less light then this.

-W

Jan 4, 2011
Will a couple 1000 watt halogen flood light stands be ok for height and brightness??.Or will i have to rig something off the 10' patio eve ?any thoughts?How about a led lighting?

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
Went to Sears and got two 1000 watt lights on stands. They are adjustable up, down and sideways. Less than $100 total and I can see just fine. I tried it with one set and it was just a tad dark. The second set really did the trick.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Depends on what your neighbors will tolerate, and how good your eyes are. I often practice on tennis courts with my daughter at night, the kind that have the lights on a timer. I find these lights adequate if you set up in such a manner that there is no light directly behind your daughter pitching (or behind you for throwing the ball back). I couldn't imagine using much less light then this.

-W

Funny, my career as a paid instructor years ago got started when I was kicked off the tennis courts of our local HS by the AD.

Up until then, I'd been giving lessons for free so I could learn and eventually charge. The when the AD kicked me off the courts -- which weren't lighted but had barely enough ambient light close by to work -- I knew I had to find an indoor location. The father of the student I was working with was taking hitting lessons up at Grand Slam USA, which was the only place around at the time, and recommended me to the owner. The rest is history.

I probably owe the AD a thank you card or something. But he was a jerk, so I think I'll pass. :)

Jul 26, 2010
That's a great story, Ken!

You should probably send him a thank you card and a subscription to Softball Magazine just for being the kind of guy he is.

I've not yet been kicked off a tennis court, but on several occasions I've had to defend my right to be there to tennis players. These were usually occasions where there was a 3 court fenced in area but only 2 people playing tennis. Apparently the softballs made them nervous. Usually these were grown men and asking them if they were really afraid of an 11 year old with a "soft" ball convinced them to tolerate our presence and clam up.

-W

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors