Pitch Location in MLB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 26, 2019
Ha! I missed that it was from the catcher POV. I was looking at it from the Pitcher POV. Makes more sense now. Thanks Towny.
The crazy thing is that article said the data supports that the balls inside weren’t hit as hard but resulted in more hits. I don’t think this will translate to softball because of the field dimensions but still pretty interesting.

Jun 8, 2016
I don’t think this will translate to softball because of the field dimensions but still pretty interesting.
Not only that, but in general the average MLB player has better mechanics than the average fastpitch player, college or otherwise, as the filter is more discriminatory. Most typical flaws are most exposed on the outer half.

May 17, 2012
MLB faces the same batters over and over so they have a large(r) sample size. They also shift defensively in MLB.

They are also always trying to hit doubles or better.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
The crazy thing is that article said the data supports that the balls inside weren’t hit as hard but resulted in more hits. I don’t think this will translate to softball because of the field dimensions but still pretty interesting.
The slowest exit velocity was up and in, the second highest was down and in. My fastball location targets have always been low and away and up and in.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00