One handed hitter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2013
I have a young girl on my middle school team that does not have use of her right arm. Does anyone have ideas about helping her be successful with hitting? She has been hitting left but she can not control the bat and it dips badly. I have recently moved her to right so her to left hand will pull the bat thru but she is frustrated. Also should I have her use a smaller length bat so there isnt so much bat for her to control? Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.
thank you

Oct 25, 2009
Some of the hardest hits can be done with a one-armed swing. The Charley Lau drill is perfect for this. On here, they call it the reverse hand drill. Basically, it's just swinging with one arm. Expect to-the-fence power.

If she has any use at all of her right arm, it can assist with holding the bat until the swing. Otherwise, just rest the bat on the opposite shoulder.

There can be a lot of success here, I believe.

PS: I wouldn't try to go too light on bat size, either. Try a normal sized bat. Probably a 31- or 32", drop 10.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
DDBHG_zpsfec0722f.gif

BustosStraightleg.gif
<<<<<<Reverse Hand drill

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
SteveEOneArm.gif

Posted by Noontime :
Is there strength in the wrist of his right hand? I am thinking he could hit from the right side using his left hand to grip the bat and use his right hand/wrist hooked over the top of his left wrist. If he has strength in that action then it will provide resistance that a good rear leg driven hip turn to turn the torso and pull the front arm against that resistance to whip the bat around. Start with the bat tipped towards second baseman. Just playing around with a tee ball bat and the hand that is hooked over doesn't even have to "unhook" although it can for a more traditional one handed follow through.
Posted here:Coaching a kid with a handicap.
I wish the player success and enjoyment.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321