Name a postion player in any sport that takes as much time, effort, and decication...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 3, 2010
Suburb of Chicago, IL
I will say that I have a new found respect for pitchers / catchers (softball or baseball). My DD made the Freshman team at her HS. The "team" practices 6 days a week. However Pitcher / Catchers get one or two extra sessions a week. She had practice with her team last night from 6:45 PM - 8:45 PM. Had to be at "pitchers and catchers" this morning from 5:30 AM - 7:00 AM. Then practice with the team again this afternoon from 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM. Add in additional hitting at home off the "T" and you've got a full schedule.

The week of tryouts was even worse. 5 days of mornings (5:30 AM) and evening sessions. Pitchers and Catchers had to be at them all.

Thus far no complaints from her... so she must love it. I'm exhausted and all I am doing is driving her.

I am sure there may be other sports/positions that require more from the athlete, but this one is top of mind for me.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
In athletics, wimmers and catchers. Catchers get to help the pitchers practice before/after their own work ;-)

Outside of that, dancers of all kinds and orchestra musicians.

Principles are all the same, huge amounts of work for modest amounts of improvement. Hard enough for adults to sustain, let alone a child.

Sep 3, 2009
My DD asked if I could think of another position player in any other sport that takes as much practice as a fast-pitch pitcher. Possibly a hint she needs a break... One could argue that there are others that practice as much, so I am slightly re-wording her question to be:

Name a position player in any sport that takes as much time, effort, dedication, and practice at such an early age, as a fast-pitch softball pitcher?

Catcher. Catchers practice with the pitchers, sometimes catching for them at their lessons. Catchers also have lessons of their own. Teams have pitchers/catchers practices outside of team practices.

Tell her to think of a hot July weekend, and then think of wearing all that gear in a crouch for the same amount of time. Taking fouls, sweating, etc.

I think Pitchers have more practice that they have to do on their own (we'll call that dedication), but in all other areas, I don't think they're the worst off.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
You are probably falling a little bit too in love pitching. To play any sport well requires dedication and hard work. Most sports require great eye hand coordination in combination with an ability to do a given physical quickly.

Eye hand coordination task benefits from training at an early age--so you have to put all the "ball hitting" sports into the same category.

Jun 18, 2010
You are probably falling a little bit too in love pitching. To play any sport well requires dedication and hard work. Most sports require great eye hand coordination in combination with an ability to do a given physical quickly.

Eye hand coordination task benefits from training at an early age--so you have to put all the "ball hitting" sports into the same category.

Too all that replied, thanks. You are correct, there are many more sports that require as much time and effort.

Sluggers, I am definitely too in love with pitching and Softball. The sad reality is I am not sure my DD shares the same. I think we are approaching the crossroads where she decides to really commit or not. As Amy mentioned in another thread, my DD is one of those multi-sport athletes. She plays Softball, Volleyball, Basketball, Tennis, and Dances. I love Softball, I am starting to think her passion is Volleyball, it may still be too early to tell. One sign however, is after Softball practice last night she gets out her Volleyball and starts practicing her servers... The good news is she loves sports and I will be there for her in whatever she chooses be it sitting on the bucket or on the other side of the net. ...man I really like that bucket though...

Jul 26, 2010
Multi-sport athletes can be very successful in softball, but being a successful pitcher is hard. Like you said, if she loved pitching, she'd be pitching against a wall when she got home from practice, not practicing her serves.

Maybe it's just a matter of letting the pitching go and focusing on another position rather then giving up softball completely.

-W

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
My DD#3 broke her leg. She was in a cast. She went out and shot hoops anyway. She wore out three casts. So, it was clear that while she liked softball, she loved basketball.

She did quite well in basketball--because it wasn't work. She would go out and shoot hoops for hours just for fun. I had to drag her in from the court.

The funny thing is that I did things that I never dreamed that I would do because of her...i went places and saw things I never would have seen had I made her do what I wanted her to do. In the end, it made me a better person to let her do what she wanted to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy