Metal Cleats in 14U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2010
Most kids here that play varsity just play 16u travel. 14u seems to be mostly middle school and JV kids. That eliminates most of the issue of equipment and pitching distance differences.

-W

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Indiana....same here and all midwest (ia,mo,il,mn) 43ft and no metal at 14. Some local complexes have no metal at any age (apparently they feel it rips up the fields).

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
DD couldn't wear metal 'till 16U, which was OK because she started 16U (ASA) and High School at the same time.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
Thanks for the discussion, guys - good stuff. ASA switched to 43 feet here two seasons ago. I went back and read some of the local discussion - it was a pretty heated topic with strong opinions on both sides. There are a handful of 14U teams here that are at least half, if not mostly, high school girls (freshmen, some young incoming sophomores). These are teams that are looking to compete nationally at 14U. They are extremely competitive in Colorado, and typically win 16U tournaments here, but choose to compete nationally at 14U. ASA Colorado was looking to keep more of these teams interested in local 14U tournaments in order to keep up the level of play and numbers at 14U. They chose to move the pitching distance to 43 feet so the high school girls wouldn't have to make multiple adjustments. Discussion comes up every year as to how to improve the level of play in Colorado and compete with our sisters nationally. (I think some of it stems from the desire to make strong showings at our own top level tournaments - the Sparkler and the Independance Day tournament). There is also ongoing discussion about moving the HS season to the spring. Colorado travel teams feel that they miss out on a lot of the fall tournaments because of our HS season, which also conflicts with volleyball, hurting our numbers. I was curious about the spikes issue, because it does seem that the reasoning for pitching distance would apply to spikes, but perhaps it was an overlooked or safety issue. This has sparked my curiosity; I may see about attending the local ASA meeting and see if it comes up. Thanks again for sharing your experience!

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2012
NorCal
There is also ongoing discussion about moving the HS season to the spring. Colorado travel teams feel that they miss out on a lot of the fall tournaments because of our HS season, which also conflicts with volleyball, hurting our numbers.

That's too bad that your HS season is in the fall. Traditionally, that is one of the biggest TB recruiting times of the year. We play HS in the spring but where we are soccer is the same season and we lose those athletes. Are there any TB tournaments for 16u/18u in the spring? We can't start summer season until HS play offs are done.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
The only tournaments in the spring are local. I do know of a few in February in warm locations, though my DD's team hasn't played in any. On the one hand it's nice to play so many local tournaments as warm ups before the real meat of tournament season comes in late June, but then the latest ones we can play are in early August (very early August - school starts on/around the 15th, with our HS tryouts beginning during the second week of August). Soccer is big here but I think volleyball is bigger. I might gamble to go up against soccer in the spring rather than volleyball in the fall. A lot of kids around here start off playing both softball and volleyball since youth softball is in the spring. Once they get to HS, the girls have to make a choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors