Making an all-star team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
After selecting our first ever all-star team this year with only two 10u team to choose from. I was wondering how everyone here chooses there team? Of course theres quality of the individual, but was wondering if selection is based on attendance with ability, or if there a slugger but not always focused on the game?? Or perhaps theres more of a methodical way of selection, I would love to hear it!

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
You pick the best players, period. Of course you have to make sure you have enough pitchers and catchers. But it should be strictly on who performs best.

I know some leagues use coaches nominations and then there is some sort of vote, and other leagues have a tryout. Either way should be aimed at the best players.

Feb 3, 2011
Our 10u had 5 teams to choose from, up from 4 last year, and expect to have 6 or possibly even 7 teams next year.

Around mid-season, coaches submit their nominations and although it's based on season-long performance - which includes demonstrated abilities and character and attitude in practices, too - there's a sort of hot period where the 'ones to watch' are getting a closer look. Coaches then meet after that period to vote and each team gets 2 votes. There are 5 rounds, and selections must be unanimous. We select 14 total. If there aren't 14 unanimous selections after the voting, then the All-Star coach and manager fill out the roster. This year, we had 10 selected on the 1st vote, 2 more within 2 more rounds, and then could not achieve consensus, as there were 3 players for only 2 open slots. So, the coach took the 2 with the most votes.

We got the 10 best players for sure, maybe 11, and then the remaining slots may have been granted for other reasons and I don't have any problem with that at all. There's really only 1 player who didn't make it who would be a significant upgrade over some of the girls who did, but she's practically a lock to make it next year.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
When I coached boys baseball and was just starting out, I let the team members pick the All Stars. It worked out great. Then, the dads decided at 12U that All Stars were going to practice year around and they took all of the coaches kids and some of their friends. We got pretty far that year.

But, I think what would work out best is to take the best player at each position. I see too many teams with 6 short stops, 6 pitchers and no catcher.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
If you bat round robin most games, make sure you draft players that are good hitters. Athletes that have a great attitude (coachability) and give 100% effort. I'm assuming that you have a #1 and #2 pitchers/catchers which are critical. The intangible: draft a few players that have parents that can help you coach since you will be needing as much help as possible throughout the season.

Jun 13, 2011
We have try outs for our All Star Team - We have them each catch three fly balls - running from left to right, right to left and then in the middle. They make the throw to Second then third from the outfield. Then they take three or four hard grounders at Shortstop and throw to first. They bunt five times, then swing away five times on the 5th they run and slide into second. Coaches and Managers from the spring league score them 1-5 for all of the above. We tally our scores individually and then vote as a group from those that tried out. Most of the coaches/managers have dealt with the girls that try out and we know their work ethic, and abilities pretty well. We don't try out pitchers and catchers though which I think is silly.
At the try out the parents are given the "rules" - you may only miss two practices throughout the 7 week committment - and one game (not one tournament) if you miss more than that you are off the team. Once we select the team we call the parent's and ask them if they can make this committment...we draft 13 girls.

Jun 21, 2010
Our rec league does tryouts. Typically we do get more than enough girls trying out and we can put together a very good team. Last year we had 13 girls tryout for a 10U team and they took all girls. This year we had 19 girls try out for the 12U team and they took only 13. What a great group of girls and parents! Ditto on pitchers and catchers.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00