Livestreaming overheating issue?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2020
I have a GoPro Hero 7 Black and was trying to livestream my DD games to Facebook this past weekend. I seemed to have a hit or miss time. It would stream anywhere from 22-25 minutes (out of a 75 minute game). I was trying to stream and save to the SD at the same time (which probably was the cause of overheating), so I could edit a better quality video for clips. Is there a way to keep the GoPro cool in the summer to allow streaming while saving to the SD card? It is fine when either I just stream it OR just save it to the SD card, but not both at the same time.

My setup for streaming is GoPro Hero 7 Black (I have removed the battery and running on an external battery), Andriod phone for GoPro App and another phone for the hotspot (as the wifi and hotspot can't be running at the same time).

I am hoping I am doing something very wrong and this can work.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
One item I would check is to ensure that you have a good quality fast micro SD card. I have even found that smaller cards tend to run more stable on the HERO7. The 32GB card that came with our camera runs very well. But when we use a 64GB card that works in all other cameras, we occasionally still get shutdowns. I would also check/do the following:
1.) Make sure you are running the latest firmware. The last update really helped the stability of the camera.
2.) Turn off auto rotation and auto low light. Anything you can do to reduce the load on the processor will help reduce heat.
3.) Place a ball cap over the camera so that direct sunlight does not hit the LCD. That black screen sucks in heat and the motherboard is directly behind it.

I hope this helps.

Jun 8, 2020
Thanks, I will try all these tips to see how it works!

What about the smart remote? Would I be able to control and run a stream through that? Or is the smart remote more for just controlling the when to start, stop, etc.?

Thanks, I am new to this and tried to look things up, but can't find anything.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2014
Dont remove the battery!
Power packs are great but at times they heat up and can momentarily fail to deliver power. If the battery in the camera is removed it will instantly shut off if the power bank stops delivering power.
As far as heat... grab a buck hat and place over the camera and you will be fine.
I've recorded about 450 games without and issue using a $30 go pro knock off I picked up on Amazon

Mine overheats also. As a matter of fact I have some issue with my go pro hero7 black almost every game. Its not user friendly connect to this network can’t find personal hotspot I usually miss half the game trying to restart gopro I do not recommend it for softball.

Jun 8, 2020
Mine overheats also. As a matter of fact I have some issue with my go pro hero7 black almost every game. Its not user friendly connect to this network can’t find personal hotspot I usually miss half the game trying to restart gopro I do not recommend it for softball.
The only issue I have with it is when I try to stream and save to the SD card simultaneously. Saving to the card or just streaming works fine. It has always picked up my hotspot. The reason I think it's overheating and asking for suggestions is that when I did the same setup in my house (constant 74 degrees), it works fine doing both at the same time.

Feb 7, 2016
Had the same issue with my GoPro6. Hoping the 8 doesn't have the same issue. I saw your test results, Josh and I'm optimistic. But I would love to hear feedback from the field (pun intended).

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
Had the same issue with my GoPro6. Hoping the 8 doesn't have the same issue. I saw your test results, Josh and I'm optimistic. But I would love to hear feedback from the field (pun intended).
Love love love the 8 for recording....still sucks eggs for streaming due to the fixed wide FOV.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles