Let Me Boast A Little Bit

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
sierrahr.jpg

This is my DGD holding her home run ball that she hit this weekend. It was one of her worse swings she has had, but she was able to muscle it over the fence.

But, although I am proud of her, I am more proud of her team.

They entered this tournament with the #1 pitcher not able to pitch because of turf toe and the #2 pitcher out with a sprained ankle. Thankfully, the team has three more pitchers they could call on, but they don't pitch that much. They won the first bracket game but then lost the second bracket game. The team then circled the wagons. They only had to play one more game on Sat, but today was a killer, five straight games back to back. They started at 10:15am and finished at 6:30pm. They fought back and won 9-0 against the team and pitcher who put them in the losers bracket. They then beat them again to win the championship, 4-3.

The team was loose and having fun all day, no pressure what so ever. Each individual contributed, in one way or the other, both on offense and defense. If one of the girls made an error or made an out, the whole team was unified in letting them know not to worry about it. They had confidence in each other and was cheering each other on all tournament.

This was a total team effort and it was a thing of beauty to see and appreciate.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Nice weekend there!! Lots of teams are mentally done if the ace is out, y'all rose to the occasion and won!!

What kinda infield surface is that in the picture? Grey? Looks like crushed limestone, but surely not.

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
Thanks for the comments. This is first year 14u team with three new players added to the 12u group. The first two tournaments, the newbies were accepted but the team had not bonded together. For some reason, this weekend it all clicked and they faced adversity right in the face. Due to the injuries, several of the girls were playing out of position but stepped up to the challenge. I mean, when have you seen a 5'10" 2nd baseman, but her height and desire enabled her to make several great plays. To look at the pitcher (she usually plays cf) you would think she was a 10u player, but she has a big heart and pitched wonderfully. DGD is usually the #1 catcher but she had to play 3rd base 4 out of the 5 games Sunday. Although this is just her 3rd tournament where she has played 3rd base any at all, I was amazed at how well she played it. But the big thing is the girls showed heart and a desire to win, and they played as a team. They were loose and had fun.

Fun they had! One of the girls hit a home run and as she crossed the plate all she could say was, "I gotta pee!"

Goingdeep, yes, that is crushed limestone. But that is not the field the team played on. The AC called on our way home and wanted a pic for the web site, but he wanted it to be on a field. So, we stopped at the first field we came to.

stv, next time we are in the same tournament together, just come by where the Lady Blues are and ask for PawPaw or look for the oldest guy there. It would be nice to talk to a fellow softball nut!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors