Least favorite softball hitting drills - Part one

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
There are a lot of great drills out there to help fastpitch softball hitters learn to hit more effectively. Then there are some that seem to have no purpose at all. They might appear to be a good idea, but in truth they work counter to what you're probably trying to accomplish. Today I'm going to talk about one of them. Don't bother looking for part two right away -- it'll happen when it happens.

Anyway, the drill is one I used to use. There are plenty of names for it, but I'm going to refer to it as rapid fire. Essentially, a coach gets down into soft toss position, and then starts tossing balls at the hitter in rapid succession. As soon as one ball is hit the next ball is tossed. Keep doing that for 10 or 15 tosses.

Theoretically, the drill is used to teach hitter to have a quick bat. Yet it's completely useless for that, because the swing you end up taking has nothing to do with your game swing. All you really wind up doing is swatting madly at the ball in order to keep up. In fact, in my opinion this drill probably does more harm than good because it works against the principles of good hitting.

What is one of the keys to good hitting? It's timing -- recognizing the pitch speed and creating a controlled explosion into the ball. When you're doing rapid fire soft toss you have no opportunity for timing whatsoever. There's no load, no stride/weight shift, no connection, no rotation into the ball, no extentions after contact, nothing. You just use your hands and arms. Is it any wonder that players who are forced to do this drill repeatedly end up with wimpy arm swings? If your goal is to get your players to pop up and ground out, this is the drill for you!

Another thing it does is destroy any semblance of a good bat path to the ball. The hands go wherever they have to in order to make contact. Most of the time that's somewhere other than where the hands should be when swinging. And the worse the coach is at tossing, the worse the bat path will be.

But what about batspeed? Doesn't it at least help with that? Not really. Batspeed is the culmination of a number of things in the swing. Personally, I think the hands and wrists are one of the least important contributors. So a drill that isolates them isn't going to do much. Except maybe encourage an early wrist roll.

Bottom line is any drill that sacrifices good hitting mechanics, and the core principles of hitting, for some isolated (and perceived) gain is a bad drill. If you're using it, drop it from your practice plan. Now. Before you do the kind of damage hitting coaches have to spend weeks to undo.

If you want to develop batspeed, have your hitters learn to use their bodies more effectively. Make sure you understand the kinetic chain of hitting so each body part is firing in order, at the right time. Speed up the pitching machine or have your hitters stand closer while you front toss. Anything but fire ball after ball at them.

As I said, I used to use this drill too. Then I learned better. You can do the same.

More...

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Couldn't agree more. I watched a coach show this drill to another coach and had to walk away. I agree with the below quote from hitter- Howrad Carrier. I have seen many coaches do this drill.
A quote form Howad Carrier on this drill.
" For instance the quick hands drill where the person soft tossing throws balls out quickly for the hitter to hit.

Before long the hitter gets behind and misses or their mechanics and they get erratic and before long all the mechanics we have worked so hard on are soon lost and our efforts have been wasted.

You will hear people say this drill builds bat speed, stamina and quick hands…BULL CRAP! . Some drills make no sense and this is one of them.

Softball and baseball is a ballistic sport and not an endurance sport so train in your mind on the execution of the mechanics and not on the results as you have no control of the results only on the execution!

Jan 27, 2010
Eastern Iowa
I disagree. We started going to to a hitting coach as a team in August. This man has put NUMEROUS players in D1 schools. The last set that he has the girls do is "Quick Drills". Their strength has gone way up in the last three months. Now, this is done off o pitching machine and not soft toss though. That's is my tow cents anyways.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I disagree. We started going to to a hitting coach as a team in August. This man has put NUMEROUS players in D1 schools. The last set that he has the girls do is "Quick Drills". Their strength has gone way up in the last three months. Now, this is done off o pitching machine and not soft toss though. That's is my tow cents anyways.

IMO, that drill at the end of practice will undermine much of the good stuff ingrained during the prior drills. His success must be due to the other drills he has the girls doing.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Off of a pitching machine, would be a different drill. I can't see how you could actually do quick toss, from a machine. The drill that I am familiar with, you kneel near the batter with 3 balls and you toss, toss, toss. It takes about 5 seconds.

I would be interested in seeing your instructors drill and how many balls he is throwing them. He may have a reason for what he does.

Jan 27, 2010
Eastern Iowa
The way the drill works is... The machine is set at about 55 and the feeder feeds the ball and then feeds again as soon as the hitter completes her swing. He uses it for building strength. I have watched his older girls do this and never miss a ball out of two buckets and also hit the ball with great power. It is fun to watch.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
The way the drill works is... The machine is set at about 55 and the feeder feeds the ball and then feeds again as soon as the hitter completes her swing. He uses it for building strength. I have watched his older girls do this and never miss a ball out of two buckets and also hit the ball with great power. It is fun to watch.

IMO, this is no better than the rapid soft toss drill because the hitter doesn't have time to reset after the swing. Fewer high quality reps are better than more poor quality reps. Swinging when fatigued can increase stamina (don't know if I'd call it strength), but there are other ways to induce fatigue. Perhaps a bigger issue I have is that if this is the last drill done, then the hitter ends practice with the crappiest swings of the day from a mechanical standpoint, which erodes the muscle memory of good mechanics used during all prior drills. I'm not arguing that the instructor isn't successful, but IMO this drill performed at the end of practice actually retards progress/success.

Jan 27, 2010
Eastern Iowa
IMO, this is no better than the rapid soft toss drill because the hitter doesn't have time to reset after the swing. Fewer high quality reps are better than more poor quality reps. Swinging when fatigued can increase stamina (don't know if I'd call it strength), but there are other ways to induce fatigue. Perhaps a bigger issue I have is that if this is the last drill done, then the hitter ends practice with the crappiest swings of the day from a mechanical standpoint, which erodes the muscle memory of good mechanics used during all prior drills. I'm not arguing that the instructor isn't successful, but IMO this drill performed at the end of practice actually retards progress/success.

Of course, you are ASSUMING that the swings during this drill are bad. The girls that have been doing it a long time don't take bad swings. They smoke every single pitch. So, you don't think that swinging a weight 30-50 times and having that weight hit a moving object doesn't make you stronger? I don't how how that is possible. Again, to each their own, but I have seen my girls get stronger in the three months we have been doing this.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Of course, you are ASSUMING that the swings during this drill are bad. The girls that have been doing it a long time don't take bad swings. They smoke every single pitch. So, you don't think that swinging a weight 30-50 times and having that weight hit a moving object doesn't make you stronger? I don't how how that is possible. Again, to each their own, but I have seen my girls get stronger in the three months we have been doing this.

Q - I think my apparent misunderstanding is related to semantics or terminology. My assumption that the swings would be poor is based on your description of your coach's drill and the fact that if a machine is throwing 55 and the next ball is fed at the completion of the swing (which I consider to mean after follow through w/ bat behind the back), even superman can't reset quickly enough to take the next swing w/ anything resembling sound mechanics. Except for you, noone else has argued that the initial quick toss drill described by Ken (the OP) is at all usefull. Now if the quick drill you described allows the hitter to quickly reset before the next ball is pitched, I can see it being beneficial. As far as improved strength goes, I would suspect that its a product of the several hundred swings (my assumption based on what we do and know others do) the girls are taking over the course of hitting practice, rather than just the quick drill alone. Regardless, it sounds like your coach is on the right track and his girls are improving, which is all that really matters! If you can do it, I'd love to see some video of the quick drill.

GM

Jan 27, 2010
Eastern Iowa
Q - I think my apparent misunderstanding is related to semantics or terminology. My assumption that the swings would be poor is based on your description of your coach's drill and the fact that if a machine is throwing 55 and the next ball is fed at the completion of the swing (which I consider to mean after follow through w/ bat behind the back), even superman can't reset quickly enough to take the next swing w/ anything resembling sound mechanics. Except for you, noone else has argued that the initial quick toss drill described by Ken (the OP) is at all usefull. Now if the quick drill you described allows the hitter to quickly reset before the next ball is pitched, I can see it being beneficial. As far as improved strength goes, I would suspect that its a product of the several hundred swings (my assumption based on what we do and know others do) the girls are taking over the course of hitting practice, rather than just the quick drill alone. Regardless, it sounds like your coach is on the right track and his girls are improving, which is all that really matters! If you can do it, I'd love to see some video of the quick drill.

GM

I am sorry about the confusion. The ball isn't fed until the batter is basically reset. As far as me being the only one, i am not concerned with that. I know what my eyes tell me.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma