Gameday pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

NEF

May 16, 2012
New England
I would agree in college that most teams would know in advance who starts game 1. as it is usually the ace, who you can being back later in game #2 if the #2 gets into trouble and the game is close. I can see no decision being made if the staff is weak , not consistant and you need to see them warm up to get an idea of who looks better. or if you have a book on the area umpires and do not know who is going to be behind the plate, certain umpires have a wider strike zone then others, to pitch someone who lives on the outside corner and can not get a call is not a smart coaching decision

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
It doesn't take more than common sense to inform the pitchers who is starting a day or two before her start. Also coach should have a plan B for in case starter gets hurt or can't throw strikes. In other words, coach should always have 2 pitchers warm. Just saw Louisville game where SP got hurt and nobody was warm. 2nd pitcher came in and blew out her bicep on her 4th pitch. 3rd pitcher (not warm freshman) came in to replace 2nd pitcher and inherited a 3-1 count. Walked batter on 1st pitch and then went on to give up 5 more runs with 2 outs.
Sorry, thats bad coaching.
Does softball not have the same rule baseball does? If a pitcher is removed for injury, the new pitcher gets all the time they need to warm up. Admittedly I don't know if that's also a rule in softball. If not are you suggesting a coach continually warm up a pitcher in case of injury?

Aug 21, 2008
No way. If someone who has been both a top-level pitcher and a coach feels this way, then it’s something all coaches should take to heart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's funny how someone can read something on a message board, text, an email, etc. and can easily read in an unintended "tone" that isn't what is actually meant. So I couldn't tell if it was sarcasm. LOL.

But thank you for the compliment.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Does softball not have the same rule baseball does? If a pitcher is removed for injury, the new pitcher gets all the time they need to warm up. Admittedly I don't know if that's also a rule in softball. If not are you suggesting a coach continually warm up a pitcher in case of injury?
I don't know the rule either. All I know is pitcher blew out her arm on her 4th pitch. I think her name is Halloway.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad