First Year Assistant--Looking Back--kinda Long!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 21, 2010
I was asked by a coach to be an assistant at the last minute--he wanted my DD to be number 1 catcher on his team, but some other issue was in play too. So, I go to the draft with him and had a great time with the other coaches who I also know. It was fun to point out girls I knew that he didn't to pick if we had the chance. We did and we had a solid group of girls to work around.

We were a first year 12U with one second year 12U player. So, I'm always a parent who will help any coach who ask me, but I never was responsible for practice or games. I learned alot in a short period of time. The head coach taught me third base coaching and how to move the girls around. He has a very aggressive style and the girls stole constantly, even delayed steals home. Which brings me to one of my favorite moments.

First game I get to coach and I'm walking over to third and the opposing team's coach says,"***** trust you with third"? I kinda laugh and said something about keep them moving around the bases. I see an opportunity to have my DD delay steal home. She takes off and she slides in safe!! I was thrilled to say the least, but it was the look on the opposing team's coach's face! One of many great moments.

I really enjoyed being third base coach. I loved when the girls would steal on my command and when they would get to third, the look in their eyes. Intense! I did make a few mistakes, like sending a girl home who I knew wouldn't slide and she got tagged out. I caught myself watching the hitter at home and forget to send me signal to runner on first or second.

We had one timid player who was afraid of the ball when in the box. I tried many different things to get her to swing or just bunt. She struck out alot but once in a while she'd get lucky and get walked. Once on base she was a very fast runner. Followed all commands once on base. BTW, this was supposed ot be our third catcher!

Another thing the head coach did was give me the responsibility of batting line-up and field positions. We had two other assistants and one of them would go over my ideas for field position and we'd change things, but eventually, we went with a set position plan and tweaked it rarely. I finally came upon a great line-up and the girls started to hit better and move each other around the bases. That was alot of fun to watch.

I loved the comments the girls would make or some of their questions. Like, which is left field! Or, do have to slide? Of course you do if you want to be safe!

Parents. Some of the best you'd love to have on your team, and of course there is the "one". Head coach told me I would have to deal with one mom, but I knew what I would say if she complained about her DD pitching.

Speaking of pitching, the two main pitcher's fought over my DD. We had two catchers, but the pitcher's wanted my DD to catch for them. One day I get a text message from the head coach telling me my DD needs to catch for his DD ( pitcher ). So, I do that, but other pitcher looks at me and ask why she can't have my DD catching for her. Eventually the other catcher didn't want to catch anymore. It was more than she could handle, so both pitchers were happy to share my DD!

So many more things about this experience I could share. I now know why some of you coaches do it and stick with it. It's great to see improvement. It's great to see how a team comes together and plays the game. It's frustrating when the opposite happens but you battle through it and get back on track. We did well in the league 12u tournament. Won our first game, stayed close with the best team, but lost. We were hitting off the best pitcher in the league with the exception of one girl and had the parents of that team worried!!

I'm all ready to do it again. I can't wait for next season to start!

Abby's coach/dad

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles