First base a one-handed position

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
In the past I've written about catching as being a one-handed position. That idea also extends to playing first base.

The reason is the same. There's a lot of reaching at first base. And it's easier to reach farther when you're only using one hand.

Sure, if the ball is coming right to your chest a two-handed catch is fine. But for nearly anything else -- especially balls in the dirt -- going with one hand makes far more sense. That's the reason for the design of first basemans' mitts. The ball is supposed to nestle itself in the pocket without the benefit of a second hand helping out.

If you're a first baseman, or working with a first baseman, have her practice catching with one hand. And if you're a coach of a team, for goodness' sakes quit yelling at your first baseman to use two hands. She'll snag a lot more balls with one, and you'll win a lot more games.

More...

Mar 13, 2010
Two handed catching is great in perfect situations. However first base rarely gets those opportunities.

I don't catch two handed. Most adults don't. It's because they are good enough and have caught long enough to catch one handed with little problem. But for begginers I teach them the basics and the ideal way to catch a ball.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Luckily I;ve never heard a coach yelling to use 2 hands :)
Some coaches actually think 2 hands is proper?.......wow

Come to 1 of our practices or games and you will hear it yelled about 100 times. 1st basemen included.

What Ken posts makes sense, I will put it on my list to work on after the season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan