Difference between infield and outfield throws

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
What are the basic differences between an infield throw and an outfield throw? Is it mainly outfield using the reverse windmill for longer throws and infield making a quicker throw by taking the ball straight back to glove (if that's even necessary for the play)? From there, are the mechanics identical?
I realize outfield would also use the crow hop at times, so the foot work would be different.
Anything else?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
It is difficult to explain correctly, so I would recommend you search YouTube for some instructional videos demonstrating the differences, but an outfield throw usually involves a 'crow hop' and an elongated arm movement. Infield throws are short and crisp, but you need to guard against girls who throw 'sidearm' or by their ears.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I stay low and don't stand up, and sort of side arm the infield throw. It looks identical to batting. Yes, it is hard to explain.

Dec 13, 2011
Nashua, NH
The sequence of the throw will be different for infielders/catchers and outfielders depending on how much time they have. The arm actions change as well as the stride length and the timing of what the lower body, trunk and upper body are doing, ultimately the entire sequence will change.

Throwing mechanics in general are taught incorrectly, so in order to understand how the arm action and sequences change between infield/catching and outfielder, the proper throwing pattern needs to be established first. After this is learned, changing the sequence and changing the intensities of the throw are much easier to implement. High Level Throwing Patterns must be established before learning the practical application of positional throwing.

Why Your Softball Players Have Elbow Pain: Wrist Flick Edition

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA