Difference between coaching girls and boys

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
As pretty much any experienced fastpitch softball coach will tell you, there is a definite difference between coaching girls and boys. In fact, I'd bet anyone who has done both will agree with that.

Last night I saw another amusing example of one of those differences. I was in the middle of a lesson with a pitcher when I looked up and saw one of my hitting students (Kaylee) getting ready for her lesson, which would start in about 10 minutes.

She put up her hair, which is to be expected. But then she pulled out a small mirror to check it before putting on her helmet. That is definitely a girl thing.

I couldn't help but smile to myself. I mentioned it to her when the lesson started. She just smiled and shrugged her shoulders.

With boys you're lucky if they've showered in the last couple of days. But girls have a whole different mindset.

So what's your favorite "coaching girls" story?

More...

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I have been told, that if you yell at one little girl, you make all 12 of them mad at you. If you yell at one little boy, the rest of the boys are thinking "I'm glad he's not yelling at me."

Also, if you yell at a little girl, she will still be mad about it, a year from now. A boy will forget about as soon as he gets a hamburger.

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
One girl ran to the outfield...took her mirror glasses off after every pitch and proceeded to check herself in the glasses I asked her if it was a superstition...she said no, she just wanted to make sure her hair was all in place!! I smiled and laughed and so did she!!

Jan 12, 2011
Vienna, VA
On my DDs 10U rec team if one younger girls who hasn’t got on base all season hits one in fair territory and gets thrown out at 1B the team welcomes her back to the dugout like she just hit a HR.

My son’s LL team will ask a kid “why’d you strike out?” when they return to the dugout.

I haven't figured out exactly why yet but I find the girls much easier to work with than the boys.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Here is one you never have to deal with boys. Around 10 years ago I was coaching a 14U team and it was very hot out. The park had turned on the water and many kids were running thru it to keep cool. We just finished playing a game in our white tops and one of my young girls thought she would run back and forth under the water. Well after a group of young men stood there with eyes wide open I caught what was going on and ran over with a towel. Mom and Dad watched what happened and teased me the rest of the day of being the Father Hen. A little back ground. This young lady went on to play college ball, but had to get a breast reduction ,due to back issues. Yes she looked at 14 like she did at 18.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan