critique my 9yo DD swing...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Geez, she's 9! Of course it isn't perfect but, to me, at least she extends through the ball and finishes her swing. Doesn't that count for something? The rest will come in time with practice.

Yes, the rest will come with practice, but what, specifically, should she be practicing? Erniekru posted a video of his DD's swing, and asked for advice on how to help her get better - the thread title literally asks people to critique her swing. Telling him "she looks great!" (or other warm and fuzzy things) doesn't give him any guidance on where to focus the practice. My response wasn't to cut down eriniekru's DD. It was to bring attention to issues that may be limiting her current success, and will make it harder for her to be successful as she continues to develop in the game. Development in this game is not about doing just what works right now, but continuing to improve so you'll be ready for the next level. The earlier we can address some of the larger faults in a young player's swing, the better, and some faults take longer to sort out than others.

As we have seen in this thread, eriniekru's DD continues to work on her game, continues to improve, continues to be a competitive player among the best in the country, and continues to work to be successful at the next level.

Last edited:
May 7, 2015
SoCal
Everyone, thank you for all of the input and dialog, it is much appreciated. @Jeannie yes, this thread was started over 4 years ago as an ask to critique my DD's swing. Like @Eric F has indicated, it is a sincere peek into what others see in her swing. Since then, I've mostly used this thread as a repository of swing updates as my DD grows older and progresses in the game. That being said, I'm not getting upset when they point things out that need work, I see it too. I'm also keenly aware, that I can't implement all of the feedback as she is coached by others and what they say goes, even if it goes away from what is generally desired here. Her batting coach who led the NCAA is HR's in 2001 and her org have an approach to low pitches by keeping the torso mostly upright and balanced while bending the legs and dropping the hands to get to the ball (total oversimplification). It would be counter productive to have me go against the grain in that regard. What does interest me is the finer points like W=W and others indicate, connection, and firing order to best utilize the strength of the body. The bat drag also is something that I can work on without hampering her coaches message.

That being said, I wonder if some of the bat drag has been exacerbated by the fairly large jump from 33/-10 to the 33/-8 that she is using in the video.... These latest videos were filmed the 2nd time with the heavy bat. Maybe the added weight is contributing to the swing defect.

If I can ask, what are most strong athletic girls swinging? FWIW, DD is 5' 7" and 145lbs and just turned 14 in May

May 24, 2013
So Cal
That being said, I wonder if some of the bat drag has been exacerbated by the fairly large jump from 33/-10 to the 33/-8 that she is using in the video.... These latest videos were filmed the 2nd time with the heavy bat. Maybe the added weight is contributing to the swing defect.

If I can ask, what are most strong athletic girls swinging? FWIW, DD is 5' 7" and 145lbs and just turned 14 in May

Why the jump to a -8? Not judging, just curious.

My DD (15yo, 5'-6", a strong 160+lbs). She swings a 33/23. She's been swinging that size since she was 13yo. I'm not seeing a compelling reason to make a change.

IMO, bat drag is generally a mechanics issue a lot more often than an equipment issue.

Last edited:
May 7, 2015
SoCal
Why the jump to a -8? Not judging, just curious.

My DD (15yo, 5'-6", a strong 160+lbs). She swings a 33/23. She's been swinging that size since she was 13yo. I'm not seeing a compelling reason to make a change.

Honestly, I thought about the move because she swings the -10 so easy. One time we were heading to the fields to do some BP and she had forgot her bat. I play some adult league baseball and often take swings just to have fun and the only bat available was my 33 -2 wood bat. It was amazing seeing her swing that bat. BP went great and it put into my mind that maybe these girls can swing something heavier.

Lastly, I've seen lots of people swinging -10's ghosts that are really -8.8's or so. The -8 that I bought is a true -8, so it shouldn't be that much heavier. However, it is 2oz heavier than her current FNX -10...

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Honestly, I thought about the move because she swings the -10 so easy. One time we were heading to the fields to do some BP and she had forgot her bat. I play some adult league baseball and often take swings just to have fun and the only bat available was my 33 -2 wood bat. It was amazing seeing her swing that bat. BP went great and it put into my mind that maybe these girls can swing something heavier.

Lastly, I've seen lots of people swinging -10's ghosts that are really -8.8's or so. The -8 that I bought is a true -8, so it shouldn't be that much heavier. However, it is 2oz heavier than her current FNX -10...

The Ghost is not a true -10, true. Maddie's move from a 33/23 CF8 to a Ghost in 14U was actually a 1 oz weight increase. What matters most is if it's right for them.

Maddie can swing a wood bat okay in BP, but she's not nearly as quick as she is with a -10. It's good work, though...as long as it isn't exaggerating mechanical issues.

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
This is amazing! I really like the rear elbow on the left. I'm going to try and figure out a way to get DD to feel that pull.. She's a very visceral kid. Thx

One point about the girl vs the baseball player. At no point does his back elbow get ahead of his hands. Even in the faster speed, I didn't know the others were gifs, the girl's back elbow is shown getting ahead of her hands. This produces any or all of the following:
The bat head drops unintentionally below the hands in bat lag.
The swing speed is sacrificed with the resulting bat-lag (could reduce effectiveness against inside pitches)
The "power-box of the elbows/arms is sacrificed, creating a loss in power.
Lastly, it can create a barred straight arm and longer swing or premature wrist snap
The tail wagging the dog!

Any way I saw the slower speeds and for sure, that is happening. The hands should be moving ahead of the back elbow when the back elbow (top-hand) gets to the pants seam (slot or hip-connection).

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Anyone tried the Swingrail as a training aid?

Yes. IMO, it promotes movements that are not part of high level swing mechanics. I also find it telling that their own demo videos all seem to be mediocre line drives that barely get to the OF grass - even for full-grown men.

Oct 3, 2019
Yes. IMO, it promotes movements that are not part of high level swing mechanics. I also find it telling that their own demo videos all seem to be mediocre line drives that barely get to the OF grass - even for full-grown men.
Thank you!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom