Couple of funny plays this weekend

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
First one, we are on offense. Runners on 2nd/3rd 1 out. Batter gets jammed and hits a small pop up about 10 feet up the 1B line. Ball hits the chalk with a puff of white, and spins foul, then rolls into our dugout. PU calls fair ball, 2 runs score. DC comes out to question the call but leaves after a minute or so. I'm thinking of GD's response had we been on defense, "Girls, I'm about to get sent to my car, someone get me a hotdog".

Got to teach the basic rules to these girls. Again we are on offense, bases loaded 0 outs. Batter D3K and takes off to 1B, that makes the other runners go (I'm yelling back, back, back coaching 1B). F2 pickes up the ball and throws out the B/R (again) at 1B, run scores. This is 16U and I'm suprised most don't know the D3K rule. Got my work cut out for me.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD has a lot of trouble when someone is running to the base she is occupying; she figures she needs to head to the next base. :)

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
We had a similar play. Bases loaded 1 out. Batter strikes out for 2 out, runner on 1st I guess thought it was a walk and starts running to second. Before she gets to 2nd the ball is back in the pitcher's hand. Runner realizes that she's occupying 2nd along with a teammate and tries to go back to 1st. Out on the LBR, game over. After the game I asked blue what they could have done, he tells me that they were pretty much screwed because all 3 runners were stationary on the base, if any advanced or tried to go back they were out. Strange ending.

Jun 22, 2008
When you say 10' up 1st base line, Im assuming you are talking 10' up the line from home plate and not 1st base, correct?

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Correct, 10' from home. I would have argued a little more than the DC did. The only thing I can think is maybe the catcher blocked his view and he thought the catcher touched it? She wasn't even close to the ball though. The runner from 3rd scored, the runner on 2nd (going to 3rd) was given home, and the B/R was given 2B since it went out of play. This was ASA not that that really matters.

Feb 29, 2012
I didn't realize the first time I read this that the ball was actually foul. I was too focused on the ball hitting the chalk which would be fair territory. perhaps that is what the PU was thinking too. I'm surprised the DC didn't argue more.
I love catching teams on that rule in the 2nd story. When I was playing guys would often stop on their way to the next base when the pitcher had the ball in the circle and then retreat back to the base from which they came. I would always argue successfully that they were out. Its great when you know the rules and even better when the ump does too (when it all works in your favor)

Jun 22, 2008
When I was playing guys would often stop on their way to the next base when the pitcher had the ball in the circle and then retreat back to the base from which they came. I would always argue successfully that they were out. Its great when you know the rules and even better when the ump does too (when it all works in your favor)

Huh? Not sure exactly what you are describing, but runners do have a stop and reversal of direction after the ball gets into the circle. As long as they hadnt already stopped once, it would be perfectly legal for a runner to reverse and go back to the previous base.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
First one, we are on offense. Runners on 2nd/3rd 1 out. Batter gets jammed and hits a small pop up about 10 feet up the 1B line. Ball hits the chalk with a puff of white, and spins foul, then rolls into our dugout. PU calls fair ball, 2 runs score. DC comes out to question the call but leaves after a minute or so. I'm thinking of GD's response had we been on defense, "Girls, I'm about to get sent to my car, someone get me a hotdog".

Got to teach the basic rules to these girls. Again we are on offense, bases loaded 0 outs. Batter D3K and takes off to 1B, that makes the other runners go (I'm yelling back, back, back coaching 1B). F2 pickes up the ball and throws out the B/R (again) at 1B, run scores. This is 16U and I'm suprised most don't know the D3K rule. Got my work cut out for me.

I don't know how in the world you don't "win" that discussion with the ump about a ball going foul before the base.

what does DC stand for? I hope its not Dear Coach

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd