6 Yr Old basics???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 21, 2012
My DD played machine pitch last year as a 5 yr. old. She hit probably about 70% of the time. We hit off the tee alot. Its just hard to tell a 6 yr. old and understand what to do to correct somethings. I know she's young and don't expect to be too advance. I would like some of ya'lls experence on young hitters basics. Like I said she hit pretty consistant, so has an eye for the ball. She swings with straight arms and not much hip rotation. Im not wanting to put any pressure on her, but would like to make sure she is developing basic fundamentals. Any basic drills easy for a 6 yr. old to understand and develope proper technique???

Thanks
Chad

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Visual has a huge impact. See it, Feel it, Fix it - on her own (if she's interested!). Show her some good swing clips and ask her to try to repeat them herself. Use video - she'll get a kick out of seeing herself on video and figuring out what she has to do to look like the swings she's trying to copy. See the Model Swings thread and pick a favorite player or focus on one of the recent young hitter's threads that have gotten good reviews. Keep it fun and give her a chance to use her natural athleticism. Other than making sure she is gripping the bat more in her fingers than deep in the hands, "Do this, do that" etc. is not recommended.

Oct 24, 2012
Slow motion video helped my DD, however, she was more 7 going 8. 6 to 7 to 8 to 9 to 10 is such a huge difference in general understanding and want. Best thing is to keep it fun for her now and help her understand that hard work at first will make it more fun later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremy523