"illusion" of speed or lack of

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 11, 2013
Jackson, MS
Question:

Does the amount of spin on the ball effect the speed of the ball at the plate, everything else remaining the same? If 2 pitchers release the ball at the same speed, will a ball whose pitcher applies a faster spin rate to the ball reach the plate sooner/faster than one who applies significantly less spin?

I ask because I sat and watched 2 12u pitchers (one who supposedly threw 55mph) and happened to put radar on them. They both were throwing mostly 45 on their fastballs. But the "55mph" girl's ball certainly looked faster when it crossed the plate and it was evidenced by how the batters were behind.

I've sorta noticed this with other 12u pitching when someone talked about this pitcher that was throwing +50s

This is just a personal curiosity thing and I decided to pose the question after hearing a catcher's mom talk about a 13yo throwing 70mph.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Ever heard a ball spin so fast it hissed? I have heard many do that in my time. One was thrown very fast, hissed really loud and it was like the brakes were put on the ball travel. It stopped about 6 feet in front of the batter after it slowed down. It sat there in mid air for MAYBE close to a second, then it jumped up about two feet and then dropped to the ground.

If I would not have seen it, I never would of believed it.

Yes spin can definitely affect ball speed.

This was in a men's game by the way.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2013
Jackson, MS
Ever heard a ball spin so fast it hissed? I have heard many do that in my time. One was thrown very fast, hissed really loud ands it was like the brakes were put on the ball travel. It stopped about 6 feet in front of the batter after it slowed down. It sat there in mid air for MAYBE close to a second, then it jumped up about two feet and then dropped to the ground.

If would not have seen it, I never would of believed it.

YYes spn can definitely affect ball spin.

This was in a men's game by the way.

Too much for you to follow along?

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Too much for you to follow along?

Nope.

Question:

"Does the amount of spin on the ball effect the speed of the ball at the plate?"

This is the question I gave my opinion to. I have heard hissing balls pitched by HS girls a few times. Dont recall any 12sd ever doing that but it is possible.

Mar 11, 2013
Jackson, MS
Nope.

Question:

"Does the amount of spin on the ball effect the speed of the ball at the plate?"

This is the question I gave my opinion to. I have heard hissing balls pitched by HS girls a few times. Dont recall any 12sd ever doing that but it is possible.

Well, do you have an opinion that pertains to the question? Because, quite honestly, I can't decipher what hearing HS girls throwing hissing balls has to do with my question nor the comment about spin affecting ball spin nor your magic ball comment.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Spin does not increase speed. Spin is an indication that the ball was thrown with the proper mechanics, but that is it.

It sat there in mid air for MAYBE close to a second, then it jumped up about two feet and then dropped to the ground.

The stupidest thing I have read on this board. I hope Hal is joking.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
If both pitchers were throwing basically the same speed, could it have been that the batters who were late were just bad hitters?

Mar 11, 2013
Jackson, MS
Spin does not increase speed. Spin is an indication that the ball was thrown with the proper mechanics, but that is it.

No. Not what I'm saying. A ball leaves the hand at 50mph. The ball does not gain speed, it loses speed. My theory is the rate of loss is partially dependent upon rate of the spin on the ball. Therefore, 2 players throwing 50mph might not be the same when it comes to the ball cross the plate, all else remaining the same.

Mar 11, 2013
Jackson, MS
If both pitchers were throwing basically the same speed, could it have been that the batters who were late were just bad hitters?

This was visual for me watching the pitch. Some weren't strikes, obviously and there wasn't a swing.

This isn't a one time thing. I've often told batters on deck to watch the pitch... watch how the ball just stands up over the plate. I've never really given much thought to the why, but it was a visual thing.

edit: I feel like I sorta stumbled onto this with these two pitchers.

Last edited:

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
My apologies. Spin affecting spin was a typo, I have fixxed that.

If you can put enough spin on the ball to make it hiss, you have a ton of spin there. So again, yes, enoiugh ball spin can take away from ball speed.

Ray, I have said in an earlier post that have seen some things in my life that go against the laws of physics and in this case, the law of gravity too. That one is in the top 3 for me. I will add this just for you. It was a spitball / cut rise, an illegal pitch. The pitcher was thrown out of the game. The umpire walked out to the ball, picked it up and there was a perfect impression of the pitcher's middl;e finger in dirt on the ball. The pitcher had already made it back into the dugout when the blue yelled "Youre outta here!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877