You make the call!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 31, 2011
This question is just for fun, but the situation happened last summer during one of our HS games.

Lefty batter hits the ball, and is in the act of running down the line to first base, but still in foul territory. She is not a slapper. The batted ball was a blooper that actually hit my batter in the shoulder as she was still in foul territory. Plate umpire called her out. The ball hit her and she was out of the box he said. I said she was in foul territory still so its merely a foul ball. ( I lost the argument)

You make the call! Is the batter out?

FYI - the ump is a friend of mine so I didn't kick dirt on his shoes! :)

May 10, 2021
Interesting.... I had a similar situation BR popped up a ball and it hit her in the head (helmet) while running to first.

If it hits the BR in fair they are out.
If it hits the BR in foul it is a foul ball.

You were right.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
If the BALL is over foul territory when contacted by the batter-runner, it's a foul ball.

USSSA rules P21 and rule interpretations P4

Sep 19, 2018
could the BR be called for ...interference if the pop-up was playable by one of the fields? I understand that this is a different call. Just wondering.

Aug 30, 2014
Central Ohio
Foul all day. That is why you teach batters to run in foul territory. Say same scenario but runner on third and she is in foul territory and gets hit by batted ball. It is just a foul ball.

May 28, 2019
this is why i tell all my girls to watch the ball after their hit!!!

i kid i kid.... i got bad humor!

Feb 13, 2021
MI
If the batted ball had already been grounded, foul ball. If it is a ball still in flight over foul territory, the umpire has a couple more decisions to make. Was it catchable by a fielder? If yes, batter-runner is out for interference. If yes AND the umpire judges that the was an intentional act to break up a double play than the runner closest to home is also declared out. (NFHS 7.4.12)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28