You make the call

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2013
Here is the set up, bases loaded and one out. The batter hits a line drive down to third base, third baseman makes a diving play and drops the ball. All runners start to run to the next base. Third baseman steps on third and throws home. The throw home is wide and goes to the fence. The runner on third scores.The runner that started at 2nd base continues to run the bases and touches third base and continues home and is tag out.
The umpires are confused as to what happen and they say that the first runs scores and the third baseman touched third for the 2nd out and the the third out was the runner tag out at home.

I realize that the runner we tag out at the plate is the same runner that was out at third when the third baseman touched third. I don't say anything because this is in my favor. The other team realizes what happen and starts to yell at the umpires. Just before the umpires realize the mistake and they were going to change the call I bring up that by the runner that was out at third going off the field rounding third and was out of the playing area and when she continue to home she went back into fair territory or the playing area. So I said it the same as a home run and someone going into fair territory before the batter reaches home plate the batter is out. Don't know if this is right but the umps bought it.

Mar 1, 2013
Not sure what you're trying to say about coming into the playing area and such and if you sold that to the umps there, good job to baffle them with bullshit :)

The runner after being put out continuing the run the bases and drawing the play can be considered interference. Dead ball at that point, runner closest to home is out for the third out. The run had scored before that happened, so you have a run in and three outs.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
With all the confusion, after sorting it all out I only have the run scoring and the one out on the force at 3rd. I am not sure how you would call anyone else out unless it was very, very clear the runner was intentionally running the bases to draw a play even they knew they were out which I would find hard to justify with the ball flying all over the place.

I have no idea what you were arguing for to get a third out. Even if it did work.

Mar 26, 2013
Sounds like OP likened it to the NCAA rule barring teammates from entering fair territory while waiting to celebrate a home run. The NCAA rule only applies on dead-ball awards and is only a warning the first time.

Regarding interference by a retired runner continuing to run, it doesn't have to be intentional. I think it does require the defense had another play available to them.

Mar 1, 2013
As I said, "can be considered interference". If there was no other play available then you just have nothing.

Jul 10, 2013
Thanks everyone, I believe that was the case. I think the ump called it interference because the other runners move up on the play to 3rd and 2nd. All I know it was one of those plays that you just shake your head over.