Yet another scoring question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
I think I misinterpreted “Doesn’t throw to prevent 3B from going home” as they didn’t throw the ball home and attempt the play at home to prevent run from scoring. If 3B stayed put and out could have been made at 1B then definitely a FC.

May 27, 2013
In my head I was thinking squeeze and defense didn’t have a play at home so they held the ball.

Aug 10, 2020
Would the batter have been out if the 3b threw the ball? If so it's a FC.

Huh?? Who moved up a base?
Right, but if the fielder had thrown to first, the runner at third would have gone for home and presumably scored. In that case, if the throw to first results in an out on the batter, the batter would be credited with a sac bunt. It just doesn't sit right that the batter is "out" because of the no throw when they are attempting the sac bunt.

May 27, 2013
Right, but if the fielder had thrown to first, the runner at third would have gone for home and presumably scored. In that case, if the throw to first results in an out on the batter, the batter would be credited with a sac bunt. It just doesn't sit right that the batter is "out" because of the no throw when they are attempting the sac bunt.

Unfortunately we can’t assume that the runner would have scored on the throw to 1B. Have seen fielders look back runners, fire to 1B and the 1B throw home and get the out. Sometimes 3B runner won’t break for home either depending on the runner.

What level are we talking about? I am in the the 18U/college mindset.

Jul 19, 2021
You are inserting way too many assumptions in order to make your narrative work.

Presuming a girl scores from 3rd an a throw to first at any level above 12u ball is an incorrect presumption unless it's a really bad level of ball being played. Any 3b that's any good at all will be able to look back that runner and still get the batter at 1B. Also it's obvious the bunt wasn't a "sac" bunt since the runner neither took off on the pitch (suicide squeeze) or took off on contact (safety squeeze).

Speaking of "Fair" .............. You think it's fair for the P to get charged with giving up a hit because her 3b chose to hold the ball instead of getting an easy out?

Signed --- Every Pitcher's Dad everywhere

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
If you believe the batter would have beat the throw to first (had it been made) 1B, if you think a throw to 1st would have resulted in an out, FC.

Aug 10, 2020
You are inserting way too many assumptions in order to make your narrative work.

Presuming a girl scores from 3rd an a throw to first at any level above 12u ball is an incorrect presumption unless it's a really bad level of ball being played. Any 3b that's any good at all will be able to look back that runner and still get the batter at 1B. Also it's obvious the bunt wasn't a "sac" bunt since the runner neither took off on the pitch (suicide squeeze) or took off on contact (safety squeeze).

Speaking of "Fair" .............. You think it's fair for the P to get charged with giving up a hit because her 3b chose to hold the ball instead of getting an easy out?

Signed --- Every Pitcher's Dad everywhere
On the other hand, it potentially keeps the pitcher's ERA down if that run on third doesn't score so holding it could benefit the pitcher as well. Just another view.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802