Ximena 9yo Spring 23'

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 23, 2019
So didn't really do any work in the winter... 9yo going into second year of 10u play. I'm looking for drills that could help her stay back and finish high.
This first clip was against one of the better pitchers she's ever faced, drew a walk on 9 pitches, timing seems good but not making hard contact

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Something that leads to postural issues at times can be the absence of torque early. There is some torque w this young hitter but it’s not early or very stable. Getting torqued is a sequence thing. Another reason why I like the load a bit later than most.

For me I like to see the hips turn into the weight shift pretty early during an early weighting of the back leg after the hands start their move (Prolly the best weight controlling mechanic I’ve found). Doing so later can help solidify shifting since it’s against itself. Torque. Not an absolute. Just a helper to alleviate drifting, stalling or lunging.

Some call it early leverage or shift.

1680002541015.gif

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I agree there is a posture issue. Yes no leg load, poor rear column created. More front chain, swing with the chest. Needs to become more rear chain dominant.

This is just a bad swing, just fouling off a pitch.

I see potential and wouldn’t go to deep into this swing.

Loading wise and stretching, it can be better. She moves back and then starts to open and swinging right away loosing the corner. Might be trying to squash the bug, which would explain the break down.

Again though, not a good swing to analyze.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Something that leads to postural issues at times can be the absence of torque early. There is some torque w this young hitter but it’s not early or very stable. Getting torqued is a sequence thing. Another reason why I like the load a bit later than most.

For me I like to see the hips turn into the weight shift pretty early during an early weighting of the back leg after the hands start their move (Prolly the best weight controlling mechanic I’ve found). Doing so later can help solidify shifting since it’s against itself. Torque. Not an absolute. Just a helper to alleviate drifting, stalling or lunging.

Some call it early leverage or shift.

View attachment 27675

Her back knee gets left behind as the stride foot opens during the stride, losing the corner. If she is squashing the bug, that would explain the break down of the back knee not coming forward like Trout. The back knee needs to stay back to squash the bug and spin.

Jun 8, 2016
Have her play around trying to emulate toe tappers eg

Bonds as well. Anybody have any fastpitch toe tappers they can share?

Right now there is too much of a shift back with the “toe tap”and it is probably causing some balance issues. If your body has to worry about balance things like proper posture to hit a ball are going to go by the wayside.

That said she is only 9..keep working she will get there.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
She has the all back/ all forward swing. Needs to coil like Trout video. Notice how his hands are going back as his belly button advances towards pitcher creating stretch/coil. Sometime hard for a 10 year old to get that but the sooner she does the better off she will be. You could have her start with the bat on her left shoulder and as she strides transfer the bat to the right shoulder to get the feeling.
Just something to think about. If your DD were to throw her bat it would end up in the 3rd base dugout. She is swinging with her arms. Needs to use her torso. If Bonds or Trout were to throw their bats, they would end up in center field.
Get a couple old bats (cut off knobs) and have her throw line drives to CF. Sometimes preforming a given task will produce the desired result. Start slow. Be careful.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Yea, looks to be abaf. I would pay attention to how the whole body is used to move one forward.

TepTuuk.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802