WTH? High School Varsity Letter in MarioKart?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I don't consider video games to be a sport or an activity that takes real skill. Basketball, football, hockey, etc are real sports that take skill. Marching band, dance, drama club are activities that take skill. Button mashing on a video game controller does not qualify for a varsity letter in my opinion, the same way that competitive farting does not qualify for a varsity letter. Varsity letter do not need to be given out for every possible thing a person can do.

This seems more like a way to ensure that everyone gets a trophy type of deal to me. That is the way I see it.
I think they take skill. What they don't take is true physical activity.

As for competitive farting, my wife and girls will tell you I'd be the world champion at that, hands down.

May 18, 2022
We have a cousin that was part of an e-sports college team, cardio, stretching and some lifting was a requirement of the program. It's much more than just sitting around smashing buttons, strategy, in-game situational awareness, reflexes, teamwork, adaptability are all components.

My kids highschool offer a varsity letter in Service, defined by 100hrs of community service in the course of a school year.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
Yes. GHSA is the state high school athletic governing body. I just asked my kids, and yes, their school has a varsity E-sports team, and you can earn a letter.

GHSA also runs state tournaments for debate and one-act plays. I respect all of that, plus e-sports, although I think it can be debated whether these are sports are activities. There's also competitive dance, and while that's athletic, there's a lot of choreography and expression that goes into it that's not purely athletic. But I wouldn't object to varsity letters for any of that.

Oct 4, 2018
Why not?

Also, the people that play esports are ridiculously good and would destroy those that play for fun.

It is the future....

Exactly. It's the future. Yes, crazy. Yes, it's not really a sport. But it's here and here to stay. You can embrace it, shake your head at it, or laugh at it, either is fine.

Oct 4, 2018
I don't consider video games to be a sport or an activity that takes real skill. Basketball, football, hockey, etc are real sports that take skill. Marching band, dance, drama club are activities that take skill. Button mashing on a video game controller does not qualify for a varsity letter in my opinion, the same way that competitive farting does not qualify for a varsity letter. Varsity letter do not need to be given out for every possible thing a person can do.

This seems more like a way to ensure that everyone gets a trophy type of deal to me. That is the way I see it.

It's absolutely a skill. If you play one of them you're realize they have more skill at it than you do. I do agree it's not a sport. Calling it e-Sports makes sense to me.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28