Wrist flicks and L drills

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2021
Why do people still teach these things? I hate them, and can’t understand how anybody could possibly believe that is the correct way to throw a ball. When people teach something incorrectly someone else has to spend twice as much time to unteach it.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Why do people still teach these things? I hate them, and can’t understand how anybody could possibly believe that is the correct way to throw a ball. When people teach something incorrectly someone else has to spend twice as much time to unteach it.
Hear! Hear!

My DD went through this and fortunately, as she got older and better, some of the correct mechanics seeped into her motion simply because they were more natural and efficient. We didn't recognize it because we didn't know what to look for and some motions happen so fast you don't pick up on them anyway.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Why do people still teach these things?
Because that's all they know. Instead of researching and learning the best, correct method of teaching the proper motion and the drills which reinforce the motion, they've watched other misinformed coaches or learned it themselves in LL. Nothing more than a bad case of Monkey see, Monkee do.

May 13, 2021
Because that's all they know. Instead of researching and learning the best, correct method of teaching the proper motion and the drills which reinforce the motion, they've watched other misinformed coaches or learned it themselves in LL. Nothing more than a bad case of Monkey see, Monkee do.
Sad part is even after they have been informed, and told hey go look at this guys or that guys drills they still insist on doing that nonsense.

Jan 22, 2011
Because it is easier to understand how to teach it that way than to really dig into and teach proper overhand throw and IR pitching.

What kills me, is learning how to teach proper overhand and underhand throwing basics is extremely easy if you understand this principle:

"Teach what the body wants to do naturally, and if you or your players feel any discomfort or pain, stop until you figure out what you are doing wrong".

If an un-athletic nerd like myself with two left hands and two left feet can learn how to teach basic throwing and pitching from watching Pauly/Hillhouse/Balswick/Javasource videos and Austin Wasserman videos, any coach willing to put a couple hours in watching videos can learn to teach it the correct way.

If you watch, at least 1/3rd of the young players naturally pitch or throw overhand 90+pct correctly, they just need someone who understands how to make minor adjustments to get them on the proper path. Cookie Cutter "old school" teaching can set a player with natural ability back months or years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12