Would moving fences back...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 16, 2013
Does that say theres no real performance difference between wood bats and composite bats???
With the BBCOR standard, not much. BBCOR is .50BPF, made to basically mimic that of wood. The positive you get with a composite bat is less hand sting and a larger sweet spot, and they're bricks... so they don't break like softball bats.

Mar 10, 2020
possibly raise heightwise but not move them significantly, less HR, but lots of balls in play, but OF still in position to throw runners out and even throw directly to HP. might generate lots of action.
See that at fields with taller fence.
Height could inforce requirement of distance.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
With the BBCOR standard, not much. BBCOR is .50BPF, made to basically mimic that of wood. The positive you get with a composite bat is less hand sting and a larger sweet spot, and they're bricks... so they don't break like softball bats.
Yes regulated performance makes sense.
What is the reason mlb uses wood bats, bb college not or youth not?

Wonder how much gain comes from larger sweet spot?

Mar 4, 2015
New England
What is the reason mlb uses wood bats, bb college not or youth not?

MLB's traditions are more sacred. Babe Ruth used a wood bat. If you change the bats, it ruins all that once was good and could be again (presuming you've seen Field of Dreams).

I could be wrong here, but college and youth sports went to metal bats because it originally saved money. They were more durable. I didn't even have my own bat in high school, so you needed bats that would last. But over time, there became competition to produce the most powerful metal bats, and there's a price to pay for that, and so now they're expensive as heck. So not sure if cost is a factor any more.

Apr 16, 2013
Baseball bats used to be hot just like softball bats. BPF was 1.15. BESR was the standard in college and HS. They had the same conversation we're having. They came up with the BBCOR standard and now HRs are far, far, harder to come by. I believe even "pitcher safety" was part of the argument for deadening the bats. So they just went with a standard that mimicked the performance of wood. You can use wood in HS just the same, and some do. You just get more durability and that better sweet spot (which is a small performance increase of course). My DD was required to start using BBCOR in MS. And yes, it was fun watching 12 and 13yos swing -3 dead bats. :) Now youth has the USA standard, which I believe is 1.0BPF. Reduced from 1.15, but not as dead as BBCOR.

May 23, 2015
If you say there is no difference in bat performance...

Why would your other comment serve any purpose?

View attachment 23739
Have you ever hit with a wood bat? If so how did it go?

Composite bats are very forgiving and the take out all of the bad traits that wood bats have. The sweet spot is more open and a lot of flubs turn into base hits and ever home runs. The vibration is almost nonexistent

You have to get into a ball with a wood bat. There's zero forgiveness. When you do the ball flies the same as composite.

Last edited:
May 23, 2015
Baseballs original goal is crafted around fairness. The balls are from a 3rd party and inspected. The bases are perfectly spaced.. The pitchers mound is perfectly distanced with the perfect amount of height. The bats are clones of each other. Its designed to truly see who's better at their craft at that snapshot in time

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802