Worst Non Softball Sport for Softball Players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 23, 2015
yeah, i found an abstract from the NIH on this, pretty authoritative enough for me. I just though a sleeve or brace provides extra stabilization, so if you know you are susceptible to an ACL (for whatever reason), might make sense.
Agreed it might make sense. Like I said its been known for a very very long time, just swept under the rug. Can you imagine the blowback nowadays if a coach discussed this with their player (as they should) and changed their training accordingly.. God forbid it was a male coach. This chatroom would have a thread 800 pages deep with complaints and comments

Jun 8, 2016
Amazing how a few posters are able to get in “their axe to grind” regardless of the topic.

May 6, 2015
Agreed it might make sense. Like I said its been known for a very very long time, just swept under the rug. Can you imagine the blowback nowadays if a coach discussed this with their player (as they should) and changed their training accordingly.. God forbid it was a male coach. This chatroom would have a thread 800 pages deep with complaints and comments
I would applaud them, as long as it was approached correctly. we are talking about preventing injuries. use clinical terms and discuss it. i sure as heck am withmy DDs.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
One of our top 3 hitters (12U) plays golf regularly (including tournaments). Based on a sample size of 1, I think more girls should golf. However, based on the same sample size, I do not recommend golf as a way to improve their pitching. :)

My boyfriend got me into playing during the fall semester. It's a lot more fun to play than it it is to watch. Also, a very humbling game.

May 22, 2015
Illinois
I’m kind of surprised that more people aren’t saying volleyball. Pretty much every ball team DD has been on has had a girl or two miss time due to a volleyball injury.

May 23, 2015
I would applaud them, as long as it was approached correctly. we are talking about preventing injuries. use clinical terms and discuss it. i sure as heck am withmy DDs.
I completely agree, but the fun stops when Karen the catchers gets relegated to filling water jugs and tweets espn

May 29, 2019
Think about all the unclaimed scholarships for female bowlers out there though!
On a serious note, there are only 5 scholarships per Div I bowling team.

There was actually a really good show on the SEC Network a few months back where they talked about Vanderbilt's women's bowling program. Vandy needed another women's program to be Title IX compliant, so they stood up women's bowling, of all things. People mocked the decision at first, but then the team delivered Vandy's first DI championship (of any sport) in school history. However, there is no doubt in my mind that the only reason they stood up women's bowling was because it was the quickest and cheapest way to start a sport. I always found it odd that Vandy is a baseball powerhouse yet doesn't have a softball program, especially being in the SEC.

Apr 26, 2019
On a serious note, there are only 5 scholarships per Div I bowling team.

There was actually a really good show on the SEC Network a few months back where they talked about Vanderbilt's women's bowling program. Vandy needed another women's program to be Title IX compliant, so they stood up women's bowling, of all things. People mocked the decision at first, but then the team delivered Vandy's first DI championship (of any sport) in school history. However, there is no doubt in my mind that the only reason they stood up women's bowling was because it was the quickest and cheapest way to start a sport. I always found it odd that Vandy is a baseball powerhouse yet doesn't have a softball program, especially being in the SEC.
I was unaware of this information. I know a lot of women's golf scholarship money goes "unclaimed. " I assumed bowling did too and it is likely much cheaper than golf to become good at.

And, YES, it is very surprising they don't have a softball program. Softball is a "money" sport now. They are in the SEC, in Nashville, it would be no issue getting players. Look how fast Duke and Clemson have become the nouveau riche of softball. Vandy could do it if they gave AF.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802