World Series slo-mo observations

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
Hitters adjust to get barrel on ball.. IMO arm bars happen on all pitch locations.. but not all the time. You can arm bar and still demolish an inside fast ball. I also see hitters who are behind shorten the arc by really bending the elbow in order to get bat on ball. Arm bars happen, I don't think it's a hitters goal though

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
I think arm bar for some happens to reach an outside pitch. Also for some it is a way to stay back on off speed, iMO

I have been preaching this "reactionary" adjustment as the origin for arm-bar with most advocates here. "Advocates" meaning learning it as a fundamental mechanical element of the swing. If true that it is a way to stay back on off-speed, then how do they adjust to the 98mph pitch up and in? They start with an arm-bar and then . . . . . . . . . . ? And if they start with an arm-bar, how do they keep contact off the bat handle? Because you can not have arm-bar without the back elbow, right forearm of a RH batter, not parallel to the pitch path, but extended away from the body. As a result, full extension is achieved early, wrapping around the ball. That is just an inconvenient truth.

Jan 28, 2017
I have been preaching this "reactionary" adjustment as the origin for arm-bar with most advocates here. "Advocates" meaning learning it as a fundamental mechanical element of the swing. If true that it is a way to stay back on off-speed, then how do they adjust to the 98mph pitch up and in? They start with an arm-bar and then . . . . . . . . . . ? And if they start with an arm-bar, how do they keep contact off the bat handle? Because you can not have arm-bar without the back elbow, right forearm of a RH batter, not parallel to the pitch path, but extended away from the body. As a result, full extension is achieved early, wrapping around the ball. That is just an inconvenient truth.

iMO. The arm bar is away SOME hitters hold back on off speed, just like in your hip, as somebody stated you can break the bar to get the barrel out or bar more to slow down.

May 12, 2016
Sounds to me like we are all saying arm barring is a reaction, not to be taught or discouraged. It's no different than a hitter who bends their front elbow to an extreme in order to get to a pitch that they will be otherwise jammed on.

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
Sounds to me like we are all saying arm barring is a reaction, not to be taught or discouraged. It's no different than a hitter who bends their front elbow to an extreme in order to get to a pitch that they will be otherwise jammed on.

This is true. My contention is both are reactions. You will also not that on the extreme inside jam shot, there never is any extension. It is a totally rotational reaction.

Jul 29, 2013
Great post.. just one question. Why were you surprised? I've seen time and time again monster HR's being hit where the hitter bars the arm. I am fairly certain this isn't a goal of the hitter( to bar the arm), however it happens a lot.
Arm bar=Longer levers.
See Ken Griffey.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Arm bar=Longer levers.
See Ken Griffey.

giphy.gif

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members