Wood bat Training?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 8, 2021
Fresno, CA
So my younger brother, 16, uses his wood bat for tee work, batting practice and for his travel tournaments, during high school ball he uses his regular bat. I did the same when I played and I believe that a wood bat provides many benefits to young baseball players. So I have a 14 year old sister and I was wondering if the same training would benefit her. Of course she would use he regular bat for both travel and high school games. Has anyone here tried this with their players? Any former softball players ever trained with a wood bat? Do you think this would be beneficial for a young softball player?

Nov 18, 2015
I think it's very beneficial. I try to get my 12U daughter to use it - at times she barrels it up with the wood bat (a 30" drop 5?) better than her game bats. You might see a noticeable difference in distance (i.e. your swings), but at the younger ages, most are not hitting shots to the OF consistently enough to recognize "oh - that would have gone 20' further with my Easton".

Great for over and underweight training as well. You can search the forums for "camwood" - one member, @Cannonball, has had a lot of success (and player buy-in) with using wood bats during practices.

And then, of course, there's that sound... #oldschool

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
As @Gags said, I use wood bats a lot in hitting lessons and with my hs team. Also, my dd grew up using wood. When she went off to college, her college coach purchased a bunch of wood bats for the team and they used them all the way through her collegiate career. For my dd, we took athletic tape and taped the end of her bat until it was a drop zero.

Apr 8, 2021
Fresno, CA
I think it's very beneficial. I try to get my 12U daughter to use it - at times she barrels it up with the wood bat (a 30" drop 5?) better than her game bats. You might see a noticeable difference in distance (i.e. your swings), but at the younger ages, most are not hitting shots to the OF consistently enough to recognize "oh - that would have gone 20' further with my Easton".

Great for over and underweight training as well. You can search the forums for "camwood" - one member, @Cannonball, has had a lot of success (and player buy-in) with using wood bats during practices.

And then, of course, there's that sound... #oldschool
I think I'll give it a shot, probably gonna grab her a 31" drop 5.

Apr 30, 2018
I wood do a Camwood bat. I just got one for my daughter (11). You have to be careful with heavy bats causing casting or bad hand pathway if they are too heavy. The Camwood keeps the weight in closer to the hands so once the hands start moving forward they tend to stay moving forward. A heavy end loaded bat may tend to start pulling the hands out away from the body too early causing casting. This is even even more important with girls as they don't have the upper body strength that boys do to control a heavy end loaded bat. First few swings with the Camwood quickly showed my daughter she wasn't keeping her hands in and had trouble controlling it. Once she concentrated on throwing the hands forward it became much easier to control.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Apr 30, 2018
Camwood also makes a one handed training bat. That will be my next purchase.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Nov 18, 2015
I think I'll give it a shot, probably gonna grab her a 31" drop 5.

Just to let you know - wood bats don’t have a standardized drop. The youth models will be different than the adult models - drops are usually not printed on wood bats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 8, 2021
Fresno, CA
Just to let you know - wood bats don’t have a standardized drop. The youth models will be different than the adult models - drops are usually not printed on wood bats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I understand that, most wood bats that say they are around drop five are usually slightly heavier or slightly lighter than -5. When I played I had a 33 inch SSK 271 model that weighed in around 31.8 ounces. My brother has a 33 inch Mariucci JB19 that weighs around 31.5.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
So my younger brother, 16, uses his wood bat for tee work, batting practice and for his travel tournaments, during high school ball he uses his regular bat. I did the same when I played and I believe that a wood bat provides many benefits to young baseball players. So I have a 14 year old sister and I was wondering if the same training would benefit her. Of course she would use he regular bat for both travel and high school games. Has anyone here tried this with their players? Any former softball players ever trained with a wood bat? Do you think this would be beneficial for a young softball player?

What type of benefits are you seeing ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802